News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

correct air cleaner for a 68 Charger 383-4bbl

Started by Charger Steve, February 10, 2008, 10:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Steve

I am trying to determine which air cleaner is correct for a 68 Charger with the 383 4bbl carb. I have literature that shows the smaller unsilenced one as well as the larger dual snorkel one. I have been told that either one is correct but I am not so sure that this is true. Were some cars shipped to places like say Calif. with one style of air cleaner and other cars shipped to other states, with different emmissions laws, with a different air cleaner? If anyone can give me thier opinion on this I would appreciate it very much.
Charger Steve

Charger-Bodie

I believe that cars equiped with the noise reduction option cars had the duel snorkle which was very common with CA cars. :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

68charger383

Not to hijack the thread, but what valve covers are correct for a 68 Charger 383-4bbl. I've been looking for a stock set, but they usually are pretty unclear with the year they are claiming they go on and and if they are for/from a B or A body.

I know the plug wire loom brackets play into the correctness.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Dans 68

Quote from: Charger Steve on February 10, 2008, 10:05:56 PM
I am trying to determine which air cleaner is correct for a 68 Charger with the 383 4bbl carb. I have literature that shows the smaller unsilenced one as well as the larger dual snorkel one. I have been told that either one is correct but I am not so sure that this is true. Were some cars shipped to places like say Calif. with one style of air cleaner and other cars shipped to other states, with different emmissions laws, with a different air cleaner? If anyone can give me thier opinion on this I would appreciate it very much.

According to the Charger, Road Runner & Super Bee Restoration Guide (CRRSBRG)  :P, early '68 4-bbls came with the dual snorkel silenced unit while later production cars came with the unsilenced ones. I've seen the dual snorkels on '68 4-bbls cars not sold in California, so I would say it was only a mid-year part change. My car was a Dec 26 build, and it had the dual snorkel. A May 15th built car has the unsilenced air cleaner.  Perhaps when they changed from the Inland to the Hurst shifters they also changed the air cleaners?  :scratchchin:

Quote from: 68charger383 on February 10, 2008, 11:47:02 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but what valve covers are correct for a 68 Charger 383-4bbl. I've been looking for a stock set, but they usually are pretty unclear with the year they are claiming they go on and and if they are for/from a B or A body.

I know the plug wire loom brackets play into the correctness.

The CRRSBRG states that for the 383 (and 440) 4-bbl's the left side valve cover p/n is 2899016 and the right side p/n is 2806996 (the right side valve cover is also used on A-bodys ). These are used on all '68 4-bbl B-bodied cars.

Dan

EDIT - When my car was restored the previous owner put a dual snorkel air cleaner on it...it did not come with the car (an air cleaner did not come with the car when it was rescued.  :P)
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

68charger383

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Charger Steve

Thanks to everyone for the comments on the air cleaners.
Charger Steve

StockMan

One other thing to note, the 68 charger dual snorkel was the one that would not take a pie plate.