News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Right booster?

Started by rrob, December 30, 2010, 10:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrob

My charger came from the previous owner with a new front disc conversion. The brake booster is not the same as the original type (see photo), it is a later model, shorter one. The car had good braking but lots of peddle effort was required, he had not put a proportioning valve in, I have since installed an adjustable unit. I am not sure if that was the problem. Has anyone used a later model booster? It would  be good to know if I have to swap it before engine and dash installation.  :scratchchin:      Rob
69 charger, 440, automatic

Just 6T9 CHGR

If you have sufficient vacuum to work the booster, then there shouldn't be any excessive pedal effort.....

One question though....how is it mounted to the firewall?  Doesn't look like there is a backing plate there...the backing plate adds strength to the firewall sheet metal if I remember correctly?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

rrob

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on December 30, 2010, 10:49:26 AM
If you have sufficient vacuum to work the booster, then there shouldn't be any excessive pedal effort.....

One question though....how is it mounted to the firewall?  Doesn't look like there is a backing plate there...the backing plate adds strength to the firewall sheet metal if I remember correctly?
There is no bracket, just the 4 studs though the firewall

Just 6T9 CHGR

I would invest in one of these then....

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

rrob

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on December 30, 2010, 02:09:25 PM
I would invest in one of these then....

OK, where do you suggest to buy from? I could probably get one off a 68 superbee in a junkyard I know of but it's under 3 feet of snow and it's -25 below today. Yikes!

Just 6T9 CHGR

eBay has them from time to time....just make sure its a power booster plate as the manual brake plates are different.....

Power will have the large round hole as pictured above
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

rrob

I started thinking that I may have that plate in one of my boxes of goodies from cars I dissmantled years back. Went to the shed and dug around and there it was, I even have the clip! Thanks for the heads up and now, back to the garage to R&R the booster. :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

rrob

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on December 30, 2010, 02:54:12 PM
Excellent!!
There is a gasket that goes between the plate & the body as well...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DMT-MOPAR-B-Body-66-70-Brake-Booster-Gasket-Road-Runner-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53df4857e5QQitemZ360228345829QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_640wt_940
Thanks Chris and you have a beautiful charger, great web site too! I guess I better do a vacume leakdown test on my booster first and take it from there. :cheers:   Rob

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks rob & have you taken the time to register yours yet?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

rrob

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on December 30, 2010, 03:59:28 PM
Thanks rob & have you taken the time to register yours yet?
Yes, I have.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T