News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 Tranny in a 68

Started by BLUE68RT4ME, January 04, 2012, 08:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUE68RT4ME

I'm in the process of finishing up my car for launch come April/May.  I took the original engine and tranny out of the 68 so as not to chance wrecking them because all the numbers match.  I plan to drive the car a lot, and want to have plenty of fun with it  :drive: so I rebuilt a spare 440 and 727 out of my dad's last race car.  It was a 71.

My question is, in regards to wiring, with the park safety switch in a 68 located on the shifter and on a 71 located on the tranny, what do I need to do in order to make these two work once we start putting it back together?

I'm ignorant to most things that spark, so anyone's help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!   :cheers:

Mark
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

Rolling_Thunder

The difference is the 3 prong switch on the transmission vs. the one prong switch. With the 68 the reverse light switch is on the shifter - the NSS is still on the transmission....     so if you keep the 3 prong switch in the newer transmission you should be able to connect the existing blown wire from the starter relay to the correct pin (center pin) on the 3 prong switch...       
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

BLUE68RT4ME

See, I proved my ignorance!  lol

Ok, the wires were snipped on the 71's NSS when it was taken out of the race car.  I'll get another.  So, when I go to wire this thing up, I terminate the outer two wires and run the middle back to the starter relay?

As well, I can keep the reverse light switch on the shifter so I don't have to mess with any of that wiring... right?

Sorry for my obvious lack of knowledge in this area.
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

gtx6970

Use the wiring connector for the 3 pin switch  but just use the center wire and wire it same as the single pin 68 switch

John_Kunkel

Or just use the single-lead switch from the '68 in the '71.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Rolling_Thunder

or that...       :cheers:         
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

BLUE68RT4ME

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 05, 2012, 04:28:38 PM

Or just use the single-lead switch from the '68 in the '71.

Oh my God!  Umm... I didn't even look to see if they were interchangeable!   Someone put me on the
:shortbus:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

John_Kunkel

They're not "interchangeable", the early switch will work on the '71-up but not vice-versa.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.