News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does the battery tray get painted the body color or just black?

Started by dspaulding70, November 06, 2007, 11:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I've never owned one and I don't knoe that any ro all of the cars I am looking at haven't been restored but I seem to have a lot of photos of 71 and 72 B-bodies with painted trays.  I don't see many of the pics I've taken showing predominantly black ones until after that.  Like I said though, this many years out and not knowing the history of the cars means that I haven't proven a thing.  It does make me wonder though.

71mopar383

Who cares if the under hood is painted black its your car who wants to look like everyone else.  Is it also a sin to paint your motor red instead of orange or turquoise? :nana:

E5 Charger

I started to research the net (including ebay) for any photos of 3rd gens I could find, and most of them had black battery trays. I also saw a white 73 in person, about a month ago, that was being restored and he painted it black. There must be members out their with original engine compartments that can prove this right or wrong. I will be painting and detailing my engine compartment this summer, so I would like to know what is correct.

69bronzeT5

Mine is currentley black but its not paint...its covered in dirt and grease. But if you scrape some of the crap away, you can see the T5 underneath
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 694spdRT on November 17, 2007, 03:38:17 PM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on November 17, 2007, 01:25:56 PM
NICE PIC... I WAS SEARCHING ABOUT THE STRAPS SETUP, with a separated extra bracket beside the welded one.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,36226.0.html

there is something wrong on that pic... is imposible get the bolt on body color and the bracket in black don't you think ?

Do you think bolt would be mounted on paint moment at assembly line and then removed to fit the bracket ?

BTW, tray looks black to me on that pic... what does look red is the battery itself on base

I added some arrows that look like body color on the tray I was talking about. The picture is not the best so who knows. From memory it is an original owner car and I never paid much attention because I thought they were assembled using the same methods as the earlier B bodies. Perhaps the owner updated and detailed the car so some of the items may not be factory correct.

I don't know about the bracket for the battery hold down being black. If the battery bracket was installed when the car was painted I am surprised the battery tray wasn't.

yeah I know you wre talking about those areas, but those points you are pointing are the battery "lips" on battery base, used on some cars to be pressed to keep batery fixed againts tray, instead use top straps
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 71mopar383 on November 18, 2007, 10:16:44 PM
Who cares if the under hood is painted black its your car who wants to look like everyone else.  Is it also a sin to paint your motor red instead of orange or turquoise? :nana:

Umm....yeah :rotz:  ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

71mopar383

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on November 19, 2007, 08:15:29 AM
Quote from: 71mopar383 on November 18, 2007, 10:16:44 PM

Umm....yeah :rotz:  ;)

Im guessing you dont agree.  Dont you guys get tired of seeing the same body colors same engine colors on mopars.  I actually thing some of you guys head would explode if some used a GM Victory Red off the new trucks or Dark candy apple off the new Mustangs.  Im not saying a Hemi Orange Chargers arent good looking but does everything have to date correct?  I told a guy in our local club I was thinking about putting a R/T tail stripe on my 71 he told me that it wasnt a opt in 71 I said I didnt care I liked it.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Its your car.... you do as you please.....you obviously missed the ;) in my post above ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Chris, you have to try and remember that Troy is the only one around here with an onsite sarcasm detector.

69_500

Dont you guys get tired of seeing the same body colors same engine colors on mopars.

I actually don't get tired of seeing the same factory colors and engine colors on mopars. But that is just my opinion.

And I also never have a very good sarcasm detector handy for online use anyways.

Ghoste

Nice job on the Camaro and excellent point on car shows.  I wonder how many of these cars were still 10% correct within a year of being sold when new?  :scratchchin:

Nacho-RT74

didn't know those scoops on 70 bees were functional!!! GREEEAT!!!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Dodge Don

The70RT

Quote from: Dodge Don on December 02, 2007, 03:16:36 PM
Battery tray should be painted body colour.

So maybe we should lock the thread........I'm glad we finally figured it out.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us