News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69' Charger Headliner Installation Questions:

Started by Captain D, December 01, 2007, 09:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi guys,

I've been reading up on how to do it yourself installation. Below I wrote out the steps on how to based on what I've been reading so far. To those of you who have done one, please look over it and please feel free to add anything:

1.) Thread all of the rods through the headliner slips and set them up onto the hooks inside the car in order to get the headliner up off the floor to work.
2.) Begin in the back and pull the headliner tight enough in order for the jagged "teeth" to bite into the headliner. Do the same for the front as well.
3.) Then, go along the sides and also pull tight as well. Glue down the excess material w/ 3M Spray Adhesive.
4.) Glue down the excess in both the front & back using clothespins, ect. on these areas while everything dries.

Other interesting tips that I've read suggest to have all of the screws in place so that when the headliner is installed, I can simply make little slits in order to find them easier for the installation of the mirrow, visors, ect.

I guess at this point, my main question is this: My new headliner is a brand new repro and seems to be able to stretch pretty easily. Since there are no hooks or anything (just flat material all along the headliner) I'm assuming that it just bites into the jagges "teeth" in both the front & back in order to hold it up. But, how far into the material should I use? In other words, how much slack should I allow?

"Thank you" for any help, info, tips, ect. for a newbie like me. If there are any other steps that need to be added or removed, please feel free to lend me as much detailed info as you can!
High regards,
Aaron

69chargeryeehaa

when i did mine, i started at the front top, and put them into the teeth, then went to the back, and did that, all the while checking that the sail panels will be ok.  Then i re-adjusted the front and rear, then i worked about a foot each time starting from the front, and did the drip rails until i came to the sail panel, then i switched back and fourth from the rear window sides to the sail panel.  After it was basically all done, i used a heat gun and shrunk the whole thing, i screwed up in one spot just at the drivers rear sail panel, there was just one small wrinkle, that was about 2" long that i just couldn't get rid of, and didn't want to try and screw things up more.  It took me a solid day to do from start to finish, with the old headliner out and everything cleaned up.  Take the seats out if you haven't done so, and get a nice big pillow to sit/kneel on.  Mine came out perfect except for the one spot; 2 yrs later, still looks perfect!!!!. :D  the key with these things is to go slow and be very very patient, which for me was the hardest part.   :eek2: :lol: :cheers:

Captain D

"Thank you" for the response, this is good stuff.  :2thumbs:

I'm trying to learn as much as I can before undertaking this project. I'm a lil' nervous about it. One last question if I may: How much slack should I allow myself when allowing the headliner to bite into these teeth? I'm assuming that once I get all of the rods through the headliner and it's up & off the floor, I should be able to get a good idea or feel for this slack.

Thank you again for any replies,
Aaron

john108

Just a minor comment.  I have never done this before and I plan to learn from this forum as well as the mistakes I make.  I am in the process of removing my headliner.  I noticed that the farthest back bow has two thin wires that snap onto it from the rear window frame area.  So it appears that the rear bow is to be a set distance from the rear window.  This may influence the sequence you use to stretch the headlilner during installation.  At the present time, that is all I know.
John

Captain D

With my old headliner (if I should even call it that because it was mostly all fur from like some kinda animal....definitely very 70'-ish), it had two small skinny hooks (like 2 long fish hooks) protruding out from the jagged teeth. Has anyone seen these before? Is this functional for my new repro headliner? Is it needed?

Also, I forgot to ask earlier but: I was looking through the Paddock-Parts catalog. I noticed that you can buy a headliner insulation material from them.  I suppose it's a good idea, but did you guys find it to be necessary to put this in before installing your headliners?

Thank you again for your time & help,
Aaron

*Modified*

BlueSS454

Here is the order in which I did mine.

1)  Slide bows through the loops.  You will have to cut the loops as they are longer than the bows.  Center the bow in the loop, then cut a SMALL SLIT for the end of the bow to come through.

2)  After ALL the bows are inserted, install the rear bow first then attach the 2 metal wire hangers to the rear bow.

3)  Insert the rest of the bows starting from the back.

4)  Pull tight, the fron center of the headliner and attach it to the teeth along the top of the windshield area.  You can go back and adjust this until you are happy with the fitment.

5)  Working from the center..outward on the front of the headliner, pull tight and attach to the teeth along the top of the windshield.

6)  Starting from the center bow, pull tight the side of the headliner using some spring loaded clamps to hold the liner to the metal trim where the molding snaps on.  You will have to slit the loops in the headliner in order to pull tight along the bows.  Work each side indivudually.  This is a long and tedious process so take your time.  Continue this process moving forward from the center bow

7)  When the forward bows are complete, pull tight the liner and attach to the serrated teeth along the top edge of the rear glass.  This will be a bit tricky as the liner will want to come back off the teeth, so be patient with it.  This is where I about lost my patience with this job.  Leave the sail panel section for last.

8)  Once the liner is tight along the top rear glass edge, repeat the above steps for tightening the liner sides with the rear bows.

9)  Now it is time to tackle the sail panels.  Make sure you use new carboard inserts if yours are no good.  Make sure the sail panel bows are inserted also before going any further.

10)  Attach the liner to the side teeth around the side area of the rear glass.  You may need to move the material depending on how you see it is pulling.  I had to move mine a few times.  I used some spray adhesive to glue the liner material to the are behind the rear upper door pad.  I used the same adhesive to glue the liner material to the metal edge on the package tray as well.  I had to reglue this area  few times as well.

This job took me about 8 hours to do when all said and done.  It turned out fairly decent for a first one.....

Tom Rightler

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

john108

The Package Tray has headliner material attached to it.  When the Package Tray is installed, how does this extra material interface with the liner just installed.

Captain D

Thank you guys for the many responses! I've printed a lot of this up, and I've got some good info to work with. Wish me luck!

High regards,
Aaron