News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why is it so rare to see transmission drain plugs?

Started by bull, October 02, 2005, 06:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I've done a fair amount of transmission work during the past few months, as well as here and there over the past several years, and one thing I really don't understand is why most auto manufacturers don't put drain plugs in the transmission pans. It's a major pain to have to change the fluid w/o a drain plug, as you probably know, so what's the logic? Is it just to save $3 per vehicle on assembly?

Charger4404spd

Because car companies know that if they install a drain plug, the filter would never get changed. :icon_smile_big:

It is a pain in the rump though without one. I always end up spilling fluid everywhere. :icon_smile_angry:

Plumcrazy

I worked on a Subaru Forester several months ago.  Not only did it have a transmission drain plug, the filter was an external spin on type like an oil filter. :o

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Ghoste

And it does save them a little money.  95% of the people out there would never have a clue on how to change the fluid anyway so they don't worry about it.   

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Plumcrazy on October 02, 2005, 09:22:21 AM
I worked on a Subaru Forester several months ago.   Not only did it have a transmission drain plug, the filter was an external spin on type like an oil filter. :o
Now that would be sweet!

I use those Mr.Gasket trans drain plugs every time I drop a pan, I drill a hole in a corner of the pan & slap one in there. It's sooo nice to be able to undo a little plug to drain the pan.

Oh & I always make sure to stick it in a corner where there's the least amount of anything internal coming in contact with the plug.

This is the one in my Suburbus. I've got a trans temp sender screwed into the drain hole, normally it's just an 1/8th inch pipe plug.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

twilt

Quote from: Plumcrazy on October 02, 2005, 09:22:21 AM
I worked on a Subaru Forester several months ago.  Not only did it have a transmission drain plug, the filter was an external spin on type like an oil filter. :o
[/quote
Yep,  Saturn has also been using the spin on trans filters for years.

Wakko

Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Ghoste

I believe that any of the newer Mopar pans that are 727 derivatives (such as the OD trans in the Ram) have the plug in them.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Ghoste on October 02, 2005, 06:51:25 PM
I believe that any of the newer Mopar pans that are 727 derivatives (such as the OD trans in the Ram) have the plug in them.

Not from the factory.  The 904 style pan I bought last year didn't have one.
I guess it would be too much troube for Chrysler to do that. :rotz:

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Ghoste

Charged

Personally I "think" maybe so you "might as well" change the filter while your at it. Theres alot of middle-aged and old timers out thier that believe they know all things on Earth. The retards believe that filters arent meant to be changed. So they dont change them, destroy the trans due to it, and blame the car manufacturer.

Chryco Psycho

I`m sure it si to force you to at least look at th efilter & hopefully change it although it is a major pain to get the pan off without getting soaked with no drain plug

Ghoste

I don't think trans filter ignorance is limited by age.  I think most people out there are oblivious to it.  But you're dead on about them blaming the mfg when it goes bad.

bull

I love the external filters but you don't see them often on small stuff. The big stuff I work on usually has a pan plug, a converter drain plug and an external filter. It's kind of pointless to change the fluid if you can't drain the convertor because the convertor holds most of the fluid on some vehicles. Let's just say they don't make this stuff too user friendly do they?