News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

360 small block cam and balancer help

Started by 73chargercali, June 26, 2007, 11:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chargercali

i got my newest charger with a rebuilt engine over a year ago and it had horrible vibration problems so i was wondering if the balancer was the problem is this for a 360? i thought they had a bigger spot on them?

then when i pulled the cam i found this huge cup thing and don't know if it supposed to be there? then i found it only had three bolts on the thrust plate. what is the cup thing it looks like it slipped and wore some of the metal down.

and the previous cam shaft has purple paint in between the lobes and the numbers 1136 cast into it. is this familiar is it a "purple cam"? any one know the lift/ duration etc.

thanks everyone for any help.

Chryco Psycho

the thrust plate often is held on wih only 3 bolts , the Cup is supposed to be Keyed on the front of the camshaft , it drives the fuel pump , the balancer should have a recess in it on the front , some 360 were very bad for vibration even with the correct balancer & weighted flywheel or torque converter , the converter could be your problem as well

hemihead

The cam sounds like it's a Purple Shaft
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

73chargercali

ok thanks, i have a little more experience with RB motors than SB.

Is the three bolts on the thrust plate for oiling? or any other signifigant reason?

i'm pretty sure the previous owner used a 318 torque converter and i think the balancer is from a 318 also. part of the vibration issue was from one motor mount only having one bolt to the block and the other mount had some all thread with a ton of washers and no nuts! needless to say the owner did some weird things.

thanks again Chryco and hemihead

max

i believe with what you have found so far i would down the engine for a rebuild. i'm sure that is a 273/318 harmonic balancer and if the convertor was also a 318 then i would say the bearings are beat from the incorrect balancing.

73chargercali

i hope not, but then again thats why i posted pics to see if anyone could visually tell that the balancer was wrong. I can post more pics of the converter and balancer, what angles do you need to tell what engine they are from?

Max the engine only has my guess a few hundred miles, if that on the rebuild. it was mostly the idle had a huge vibration problem when the car was moving i didn't notice any real vibration. i was too concerned about the fact that the car barely had brakes to notice though.

thanks again

caddman

the forth bolt should hold a peace of metal that points out toward the water pump.  it is to cause turbulence in the oil when it is moving around the timing chain.

caddman

Plumcrazy

Quote from: caddman on November 17, 2007, 06:29:44 PM
the forth bolt should hold a peace of metal that points out toward the water pump.  it is to cause turbulence in the oil when it is moving around the timing chain.

caddman

There should only be three bolts.   The piece you are talking about has one hole for the bolt that holds it on and a tab that goes into the fourth hole which aligns it in the correct position.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.