News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Plug gap opinions

Started by Ghoste, September 18, 2005, 07:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Where do most of you start to customize plug gaps?  I have a 383 with auto trans and 4:10 rear. Compression is 10.5, Holley single plane, MP 484 cam, MP chrome ecu Blaster II coil with appropriate ballast and MP electronic ignition.  So far, I am just using the mfg recommended plug gap but would any of you customize that?

Chryco Psycho

Ghoste

Why do you gap them where you do Neil?  Why 45 for a high output coil?   Why closer or wider at any point?

firefighter3931

Lower compression responds well to larger gaps and conversely, a higher compression motor requires less gap. I would gap a 10:1 motor at .040

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Wakko

You want the gap to be widest possible but still have a powerful spark.  If you gapped it too wide with a standard coil, the spark may not have enough power to completely fire the fuel charge or fire at all.  If you have a power coil and a narrow gap, you're not maximizing the size of the spark and therefore the exposure.  I used .045 with a Jacob's ignition and coil.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

89MOPAR

I tried using wide gap, like a .045 with Jacobs Pro-street ignition. Unfortunately the Turbo was blowing the spark out [?] 
I had to close down the gap even though Jacobs said it would be OK to have a .050 gap w/ turbo :icon_smile_dead:

Jacobs also sells crushable aluminum or copper [ cant remember which] washers to put between head and plug. To index the spark plugs so the electrodes are all facing the same direction. I bought them but didn't get serious enough to use them...
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

cudaken

With MSD I run .040.

Worth maybe 1 to 2 HP, index the plug so the gap is facing down. When I was racing I use to do it. Did it make more HP? I don't know but at the time the big boys where doing it.

Cuda Ken

I am back

Brightyellow69rtse

hell i gaped mine AT .054 msd6al, blaster 2 coil, mopar electrinic distributor, super conductor wires, never had a problem. would it make a difference if i gap iem smaller?............Mike

Chryco Psycho

it may help to close the gap some , it depends if it is misfiring at that wide gap

Ghoste

Most opinions seem to be 40 or 45 so maybe I'll just split the difference.  ;)