News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why you don't want to be the top vehicle on a car carrier.

Started by rarefish, December 27, 2007, 11:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TK73

Never had to file a body damage claim before but it seems to me the insurance company will get one of their "approved" shops to lowball the repairs in order to not total the car. 

Should he get "independent" quotes from other shops (maybe even dealers so the estimate will be accurate/high)??

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Shakey

Quote from: TK73 on December 28, 2007, 11:36:21 PM
Never had to file a body damage claim before but it seems to me the insurance company will get one of their "approved" shops to lowball the repairs in order to not total the car. 

Should he get "independent" quotes from other shops (maybe even dealers so the estimate will be accurate/high)??

In ON you can take the car wherever you choose.   :thumbs:

I'd figure that no bodyshop would want to lowball the repairs to save the car as they would have to do the job for less than it actually costs.   :down:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on December 28, 2007, 06:25:43 AM
It did, until I saw the 5 torn frame box's because they chained it down , even after I called DAS and said " make sure you don't chain the frame down".  :eyes: No worry, they don't chain they replied.  :brickwall:

That sucks man. My car got abit of damage too. The tow truck driver that was carrying my car didnt tie it down enough and it bounced and with the big tires and whatnot, it damaged the lip of the quarter around the wheelwell and also, the right tailight ring fell off...never to be seen again :RantExplode:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

terrible one

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 29, 2007, 12:29:58 AM
It did, until I saw the 5 torn frame box's because they chained it down , even after I called DAS and said " make sure you don't chain the frame down".  :eyes: No worry, they don't chain they replied.  :brickwall:

That sucks man. My car got abit of damage too. The tow truck driver that was carrying my car didnt tie it down enough and it bounced and with the big tires and whatnot, it damaged the lip of the quarter around the wheelwell and also, the right tailight ring fell off...never to be seen again :RantExplode:

Sounds to me like it's a tires being too big and sticking out of the wheel wells thing, not a tow truck thing.  :shruggy:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: terrible one on December 29, 2007, 01:49:29 AM

Sounds to me like it's a tires being too big and sticking out of the wheel wells thing, not a tow truck thing.  :shruggy:

Actually, the tow truck towing it to the destanation did the damage. The tow truck driver that took it back to my house told me probally how the damage occured.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

terrible one

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 29, 2007, 01:59:50 AM
Quote from: terrible one on December 29, 2007, 01:49:29 AM

Actually, the tow truck towing it to the destanation did the damage. The tow truck driver that took it back to my house told me probally how the damage occured.

. . . errr. . . okay.

The70RT

If it is totaled they will give book only. Maybe you can haggle with them but I doubt it will do any good. Lot's of people take care of there cars better than some but the insurance companys don't know who took care more than others. Some people just keep them real clean and neglect maintenance. They may check the local market and see what a certain car goes for and you get what they give you. If it was a classic and you had it appraised then maybe you could deal more with them. There is plenty of low mileage late model old people cars out there and would be fairly easy to replace. :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TUFCAT

I'm sure theres a lot of interior damage that can't be seen.....sunroof parts, plastic trim, soft trim, the interior list can go on and on....not to mention the cost of glass/roof replacement/quarter panels if buckled, etc.. VERY expensive. I'm with you. Its a total - or damn near. 

rarefish

Update:  Well I found out from my father in-law today and the insurance adjuster finally stopped at his house to look at the
damage on his Lincoln. The results are that they totalled it... and are going to write him a check for $13,700 for the loss.
Since he was thinking of trading the car in this spring the whole thing kind of worked in his favor.  :cheers: I don't think
any dealer would have given him that much on a trade.

TUFCAT

$13,700 seems low ...but if its above fair market value, then it's a good deal  :icon_smile_wink:  Too bad this happened to such a nice, clean, well-maintained car. I'm sure he liked it a lot  :yesnod:

TruckDriver

Quote from: rarefish on January 03, 2008, 12:06:49 AM
I don't think any dealer would have given him that much on a trade.

Hell no! Good for him :cheers:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P