News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to know if its original paint

Started by blinkey, November 27, 2015, 07:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blinkey

So I bought my car about 2 months ago and the owner says it was original paint.  Code A-4 silver which looks sage in color. Some say it looks too good to be original and some say it looks original. Whats the best way to tell for sure????

c00nhunterjoe

Look for evidence of tape marks and flaws, door jambs and trunk, weatherstripping. Etc. Even the best garage kept cars will have flaws after all these years.

blinkey

Its a hood signal delete car and has the original tape marks over the signals, and has slight dent in hood center cause the guy said he installed a 6 pack and the carb screw was too long and he closed the hood in 1973 and bang,,,,,,if the car was painted,,,,would you repair this

Ghoste

Real A4 does have a slight greenish tint to it, especially after time and if it were me, I would repair a dent before a repaint.  Neither of those is a guarantee of original paint though, asmentioned you will have to look in the places people wouldn't repaint and look for signs.

Baldwinvette77

well, you already own the car, i'd take off a door panel and look for a different tint behind the upholstery  :shruggy:

Lord Warlock

The underside of the trunk, rear wheelwells inside trunk, door jambs under rubber pieces. Underneath the door sills.  Usually means taking something off that isn't easy to get off to see under it. Not every owner who repaints or has a repaint done is going to paint the trunk completely, I intentionally left the underside of the trunk original paint just to prove it to anyone questioning the color. I really only painted the trunk floor after welding in a new one. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

bakerhillpins

You can also have the thickness of the paint looked at with some special machine that I can't remember the name of.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Ghoste

I'm probably wrong but I think they just call it a paint thickness gauge.  :shruggy:

maxwellwedge

Yes - An original paint car will typically read  between 3-5.....sometimes a bit higher. sometimes a bit lower.

We were using one last week at the MCACN show while judging the cars for Vintage Certification.