News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this head cracked? Take a look please.

Started by Paul G, November 03, 2007, 04:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

I just finished putting the left head back on my 440. I had it off to replace a broken exhaust manifold stud. The stud was seized in the head, the machine shop had to drill it out. The threads were torn up pretty good in the head so they put a Heli Coil in it. I was concerned about the thing leaking coolant since it is in the water jacket. They said they used a lot of blue locktite on the Heli Coil and the stud so it should not leak. Filled the system with coolant and the stud didn't leak but something else is.

The engine has not been run yet.

As I was putting the spark plugs back in I noticed some fresh coolant beneath the exhaust manifold. At first I thought it might be the head gasket leaking. I took the exhaust manifold back off and found that the coolant was coming out of the head itself between the two center exhaust ports. I keep wiping it off and it comes right back a few minutes later. The pics are looking down in to a mirror. You can see the wet spot that follows a line right between the exhaust ports just above the head bolts.

Please tell me what you you think and give me some options.

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

ChgrSteve67

Don't know about the crack. In the pic it looks like there is a crack. Machine shop should be able to tell you for sure.

I do know that I had a similar problem and had to put sealant on my exhaust manifold bolts since they go into an area of the head that contains engine coolant (liquid cooled exhaust manifold bolts?).
I have a 383. Don't know if its the same with a 440.

Steve (No expert)

jwc

Cant tell from pics if it is a crack or not.but I can tell you when I put headers on mine I leaked coolant.I pulled the bolt that was leaking and put therad sealant on it and it stoped.
73 Charger

chargerbr549

That is a common area for the heads to crack, we usually just find another head but another option would be to have the crack pinned but you have to take the head off to do that.

Kevin

firefighter3931

:iagree:  It looks cracked....maybe pull the head and have it pressure tested..... and repaired if necessary.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

aifilaw

Its an external crack... if you are going on the cheap you can do the same thing I've done on a head that leaked in virtually the same place.... and I really hate to say it, because I hate the stuff... but...
I fixed it with JB weld, and it ran great for a few months until I had enough to finish the machine work on some 516's
Hopefully there is not another crack into the combustion chamber or oiling area's.

But for the long run, I'd replace the heads.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Paul G

Doing some searching on the forum here I have been reading about pinning and stiching cracked blocks. What exactly is that?

As for new heads, The 440source aluminum heads seam to be the best deal going, except they arent available yet. If I order 440source heads can I just bolt them down and be good to go with the Engle K56 cam I installed this past spring?

The kick in the a$$ thing is I just spent $125 on this head.  Had some broken exhaust manifold bolts replaced and a new head gasket. I noticed the wet spot after I had the head back on and checking for coolant leaks.

I guess JB Weld is a good temporary fix idea if it will seal up the crack till 440 source is ready to ship new heads. I like to take the car out on clear dry days even in the winter.

Putting the cost of new heads aside, will I see a noticible performance gain with aluminum heads over my ported iron heads?

Will I have to retune the carb etc.?   

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

firefighter3931

Paul, i thought you were selling this car  :shruggy:

The JB weld deal will be fine for a short term fix....that stuff is awesome. Just make sure the area is dirt/grease free and go to it.

There will be a significant increase in performance with the closed chamber aluminum heads....more air/fuel = more power  :icon_smile_big: Yes you will have to rejet the carb. These will bolt up and use all the factory hardware...it's a stock replacement style head.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Paul G

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 04, 2007, 07:28:09 PM

Sorry for not selling it  :icon_smile_tongue: Lets just call it a fake out. I just cant let it go! It looks like next fall I get to trailer it behind a U-Haul truck 2500 miles to our new home somewhere in Arizona.

So thats the plan, JB weld it for now and new heads when they come out. I cant wait.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Paul G on November 04, 2007, 09:20:07 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 04, 2007, 07:28:09 PM

Sorry for not selling it  :icon_smile_tongue:

Excellent....so you came to your senses !   :icon_smile_big:

That car is waaay too nice to let go.  :drool5: Do the temp fix and get your new heads when they come to market.  :2thumbs:

Ron