News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

torsion bars, too anal ??

Started by hemi68charger, November 06, 2007, 10:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang...
Just got through giving my torsion bars for my '68 Hemi Charger a coat of black paint.. Wanted to get as close as possible with emphasis on the ole' wallet... From the factory, they had drip marks, so I sanded all the old paint down and tried to keep the original drips with a smooth transition.. Here's what I have now.. I'll repaint the brown paint daps via MMC Detroit...

The bottom pic is the "before" I started to clean them up..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Big Lebowski

I can understand that, I've spent 3 weeks under a car before, but those details are a good thing for a 100% resto.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

hemigeno

Looking good, Troy!

Someone mentioned in a thread on Moparts that the brown paint daubs you showed in your picture should always be facing down towards the ground when installed - under the theory that the marks were put on the bars when installed.  However, I've always assumed that the marks were on the bars (while in the supply racks at the assembly line) to help the workers quickly identify which bars were which, and keep the L/R parts straight as well.  In other words, I didn't think the brown marks were inspection marks at all.  If that's the case, the daubs could have been oriented almost any way possible.

Any thoughts on that?

:scratchchin:

suntech

Hehe !! Yes, to the question on the thread!!!!  :nana:
Naaaaaaa just kiddin!!! If they are like that from the factory, and it should be easy to get them like that (after all it is just sloppy work from the factory back then) i agree that you should do like that.

Gotta idmit that i donĀ“t understand it really though, since i am not really in to 100% resto, but i respect the ones that are :2thumbs:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on November 07, 2007, 01:37:13 AM
Looking good, Troy!

Someone mentioned in a thread on Moparts that the brown paint daubs you showed in your picture should always be facing down towards the ground when installed - under the theory that the marks were put on the bars when installed.  However, I've always assumed that the marks were on the bars (while in the supply racks at the assembly line) to help the workers quickly identify which bars were which, and keep the L/R parts straight as well.  In other words, I didn't think the brown marks were inspection marks at all.  If that's the case, the daubs could have been oriented almost any way possible.

Any thoughts on that?

:scratchchin:

My thoughts are like yours Geno, I was always under the impression the paint marks were to distinguish one bar from others.. Maybe they were pointed somewhat down so further QC'ing down the assembly line  could be done.......

suntech: I really don't understand why I go to the extremes as well on certain things.. Sometimes it's a source of frustration.. I do it because I enjoy the challenge of being able to do it, not win some major prize.. Heck, I rarely get to the Mega-Mopar shows where it would make a difference...

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

bill440rt

Nice attention to detail!   :2thumbs:
Most cars I've seen had the drips facing down, don't know why, that's just what I've observed.

Also, the brown color indicates that they are 440/Hemi torsion bars. My '68 (originally a 318 car), has the heavy duty suspension package & as such got the 383 bars. Which, BTW, had SILVER inspection marks!! The paint marks were not facing directly down on these bars for some reason.

I agree, I think they colors were assembly line indicators to distinguish the parts from one another.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

hemi68charger

Thanks guys... Who knows what's going to happen with Hemi (either sell to help get this R6 Daytona I know about, get a Superbird or keep forever). But, if my name's attached to any part of the restoration, it'll be as good as my wallet will allow.. But, it's these little things that don't cost a whole lot... Luckily, age has been a teacher to me via experience. I've always wondered how much more I would know if this internet forum stuff was around during the 80's.. lol

If I recall, the drips were in a downward orientation when I took them out of the car.. Now, were they supposed to be that way? No clue.. but, the drip marks I'm sure have nothing to do with installation orientation. It's just a function of the coating process.........

Troy
Troy

Charger-Bodie

they look great !! and too anal NO! make that sucker as close to right as you can!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

chargerman68

1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

suntech

Hey Troy
I really admire you guys that goes to those extends, to figure out how things were done then, and digging up histories etc.
I think it is great that some are so committed to the history of these great cars! :2thumbs:
Think much of the reason for some of the differences is that in the US the car is a part of the youth of many of you, to a bigger degree than us here in Europe.
I have liked the Charger for 20 some years before i bought one, but nobody even in my family had something like that. My interest for these cars started with watching movies.
Guess that is why i am not that hung up about matching # og 100% original restoration.

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

6pkrunner

Certainly can understand it Troy. If one is going through the effort to restore a vehicle, might as well make it as close as possible to the condition it was when it left the factory. Doesn't take that much more effort while its apart to do it as they did. Funny, one takes so much time, effort, and coins to replicate the sloppiness of the factory. The crudely sprayed matte areas and orange peel in the paint are the tough ones to live with....well unless you also go for the poorly aligned sheet metal. Ahhh, mass production and the multitude of corners that were cut..........

hemi68charger

Quote from: 6pkrunner on November 07, 2007, 01:31:04 PM
Certainly can understand it Troy. If one is going through the effort to restore a vehicle, might as well make it as close as possible to the condition it was when it left the factory. Doesn't take that much more effort while its apart to do it as they did. Funny, one takes so much time, effort, and coins to replicate the sloppiness of the factory. The crudely sprayed matte areas and orange peel in the paint are the tough ones to live with....well unless you also go for the poorly aligned sheet metal. Ahhh, mass production and the multitude of corners that were cut..........

Hey Mike !!!!!

Yeap, there are some things I won't duplicate.. lol  Hope all's well in your world...........
Troy

6pkrunner

Troy - just ragging ya on the orange peel and hastily sprayed matte. However the torsion bars are a must to simulate that dripped look. Never thought of sanding around[/b] the drips. I just dropped mine in a long tray filled with black. Very very messy. Your idea is pure brilliance. Plus you got the original drips in the factory location[/b]!!!! Top that Gibson!!!

**EDIT** Any updated pictures of the mass of parts? Haven't seen one in quite some time now.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 6pkrunner on November 07, 2007, 02:09:21 PM
Troy - just ragging ya on the orange peel and hastily sprayed matte. However the torsion bars are a must to simulate that dripped look. Never thought of sanding around[/b] the drips. I just dropped mine in a long tray filled with black. Very very messy. Your idea is pure brilliance. Plus you got the original drips in the factory location[/b]!!!! Top that Gibson!!!

**EDIT** Any updated pictures of the mass of parts? Haven't seen one in quite some time now.

Mike,
Here's a photo album I have with a collection of pictures of the car....

Troy's Hemi Charger photo album... clickee here
Troy

69_500

If your really trying to replicate the painting of the torsion bars, its my understanding that they were dipped in the paint, and then hung up to dry, thus the reason for the many run's in the paint. Some restorers I've talked to have said that they try to replicate it by hanging the torsion bars, by each end horizontally, and then coating them with several heavy coats of paint and allowing it to run off of the bars.

Gene, side note here, there is a section in those video's on the Daytona that deals with painting these, and the reasoning for the brown paint daubs. Not sure if you made yourself a copy of those or not, but its on tape 2.

moparstuart

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 07, 2007, 04:53:22 PM
Quote from: 6pkrunner on November 07, 2007, 02:09:21 PM

Mike,
Here's a photo album I have with a collection of pictures of the car....

Troy's Hemi Charger photo album... clickee here
nice solid car   will make a great car
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on November 07, 2007, 05:05:16 PM

Gene, side note here, there is a section in those video's on the Daytona that deals with painting these, and the reasoning for the brown paint daubs. Not sure if you made yourself a copy of those or not, but its on tape 2.

Nope, I did not keep a copy.  I'm waiting for the full-out production release from DEL Productions...   :icon_smile_big:

69_500

six-tee-nine

I like quality restorations where every part gets redone, but i personally like to add improvements also to a car to make it better than it ever rolled out of the factory, so on my bars the drips will go off.

But further nothing than respect for your torsion bars... :2thumbs:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...