News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69' Charger Headliner Installation help:

Started by Captain D, October 18, 2007, 08:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi there,

I'm a newbie at restoration, and I am ready to install a new headliner into my 69' Charger.

For someone who's about to do this for the first time...can some of you guys walk me through the best steps to take, like a tutorial, so that it turns out right the first time round'? I have the headliner, the rods, and the clips. Is there anything else that I should get, tips, suggestions, ect...

Thank you for your help,
Aaron

AKcharger

BlueSS454

Add in alot of patience also.  I'm actually working on this myself with my 69.  So far I have 6 hours in it and I'm at the point where it's time to do the sail panel areas.
Tom Rightler

BlueSS454

I finished mine earlier today.  What a major PITA with those sail panels.  It put my patience to the test is all I can say.  It has a few wrinkles in it, but I saved myself over $300, and I can say yup, I did it, I conquered it.  Here is a pic of the result.

Tom Rightler

Captain D

Thank you for the replies,

As for my old headliner...well, there wasn't much left of it. So, I don't really have anything to build off of. The only things that I do have are the metal rods that hold up the headliner, the clips that the rods fit onto, and I cut out new sail panel wood pieces.

BTW, great job on your headliner!

High regards,
Aaron

AKcharger

I wouldn't get too wrapped up about the sail panels, they came from the factory wrinkled, none were perfect...and if you see some that are you know they've been redone

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bill440rt

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on October 24, 2007, 07:01:21 PM
Quote from: BlueSS454 on October 20, 2007, 08:29:48 PM
but I saved myself over $300

To get it installed??? :shruggy:

Uhhh, YES!!! That the cheapest anyone would touch it around here. Most guys wanted $350 AT LEAST, & others did not even want to do it at all.
Looks great, BlueSS454!!

Here's how I did mine, most of the wrinkles have worked themselves out already:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31212.0.html
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

JrJohnston

Quote from: bill440rt on October 25, 2007, 09:31:36 AM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on October 24, 2007, 07:01:21 PM
Quote from: BlueSS454 on October 20, 2007, 08:29:48 PM
but I saved myself over $300

To get it installed??? :shruggy:

Uhhh, YES!!! That the cheapest anyone would touch it around here. Most guys wanted $350 AT LEAST, & others did not even want to do it at all.
Looks great, BlueSS454!!

Here's how I did mine, most of the wrinkles have worked themselves out already:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31212.0.html

Is the $350 including the headliner,or is that your headliner? If that is with your headliner,then they are robbing people.I get $125.00 to install your supplied headliner,and $225.00 if I supply the headliner.

Junior Johnston
SCB AutoTrim
2565 B W. Bennett
Springfield,Mo 65807
417-869-7700
www.scbautotrim-mo.com
www.myspace.com/scbautotrim

bill440rt

It was $350 for installation ONLY!! I called 3 places, they were all about the same.
I finally decided to do it myself, it came out better than I thought it would.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

BlueSS454

Thanks Bill!  I checked out your install, that's the same exact way I did it.  I think I could have pulled it a little more along the sides, but I fell that the wrinkles present across the bow area in the center will work themselves out eventually
For those that asked about the install price, yes, $300 was the CHEAPEST price I got for INSTALLATION ONLY with me supplying the headliner.  I got other quotes of up to $375.  The headliner cost me $60 from Legendary so I figured I could screw up 5 headliners before it would even out.  I would have spent up to $200 to get it installed, but I personally thought that $300+ was way out of line. 
Tom Rightler

JrJohnston

Sound's to me like I need to open a shop up where you guy's are.......... :2thumbs:
Junior Johnston
SCB AutoTrim
2565 B W. Bennett
Springfield,Mo 65807
417-869-7700
www.scbautotrim-mo.com
www.myspace.com/scbautotrim

440charger68

I did my headliner myself, it took me along time. Make sure you number the supporting rods for your headliner. If you get them mixed up it would be hell.
life's a garden, dig it.

694spdRT

A local shop charged me $275 to install the headliner and vinyl top at the same time. If I remember correctly it was $100 for the headliner. It also makes a difference if they have to remove and install all of the interior or exterior trim pieces or not.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

limey

How many bows should there be?
The previous owner put mine in and it sags like hell. - feels like it has some bows missing....
It kind of takes the edge off driving a cool and rare (0ver here) car when you are 6'5" tall and look like you are wearing a large floppy vinyl hat.. :icon_smile_big:
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein