News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

oil priming 318

Started by AmadeusCharger500, October 13, 2007, 10:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

Does the oil shaft get turned counterclockwise on a 318?

Dennis K

No, small blocks turn clockwise.

AmadeusCharger500

I mistakenly had the filter in too loose and had a gush of oil on the floor.
Would this indicate it is primed?

Todd Wilson

I would say no. When I have ever primed an engine I look for oil at the rocker arms.

Todd

AmadeusCharger500

I only have oil coming out at the passenger side rockers.
Why would that be?

AmadeusCharger500

Why am I not getting oil at the drivers side rockers?

Todd Wilson

Keep pumping!!!!!!!!!

Todd

AmadeusCharger500

I keep trying for about 40 to 60 seconds at a time, doing this about 10 times. Mostly at high to medium speed on the drill, and still nothring. I did have a good show of oil on the passenger side, but what the heck is going on.
It really is clockwise correct?

Plumcrazy

Quote from: AmadeusCharger500 on October 25, 2007, 02:09:12 PM
I keep trying for about 40 to 60 seconds at a time, doing this about 10 times. Mostly at high to medium speed on the drill, and still nothring. I did have a good show of oil on the passenger side, but what the heck is going on.
It really is clockwise correct?

Clockwise is correct.  The rockers are oiled through two holes in the 2nd and 4th camshaft journels.  But only when those holes line up with the holes in the cam bearings.  You need to slowly turn the engine over while turning the oil pump until the hole for the drivers side head line up.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

AmadeusCharger500

Steve P.

:iagree:  Also the correct answer..

When ever you are going to turn any distributor driven oil pump to prime a motor you will ALLLLLLLLLLWAYS turn the pump the same direction as the distributor normally turns.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

AmadeusCharger500

Thank you verily!

Finally got oil at  the drivers side.