News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone know anything about current gen Rams? UPDATE

Started by 73ChargerSE, October 25, 2007, 10:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73ChargerSE

I've got a whining/groaning noise coming from my rear end at all times, and it started tonight.  Does anyone know what rear ends are in these trucks?  I've got an '02 1500 with a 360 with 3.55's I believe. I checked the gear oil, it was low, but I added to it and nothing changed.  What else could be going wrong?  I'm really hoping It doesn't need a rebuild.  Any common problems with these?

Mean 318

could be an axle seal! Look to see if one of the tires looks like is is being sprayed on the inside! If so bad axle seal and it just took a beating from driving low... thats my idea for the night!

Todd Wilson

Should be the corporate 9 1/4 rear end. 75w140 synthetic gear and axle lube and a 5oz bottle of the Mopar Friction Modifier if its equiped with a trac lok/tow package. Hopefully it isnt going out but it might be. Sometimes the antilock brake sensor has a leak around where it screws in the top of the rear end housing.

Todd

73ChargerSE

So my trac-loc unit could be going out?  There's no leaks from anywhere.  I did have a loose pinion nut making an entirely different noise, and that's why it leaked out some gear oil I think.  The truck has 158k on it.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: 73ChargerSE on October 26, 2007, 02:55:17 AM
So my trac-loc unit could be going out?  There's no leaks from anywhere.  I did have a loose pinion nut making an entirely different noise, and that's why it leaked out some gear oil I think.  The truck has 158k on it.

If the pinion nut came loose you were running it without any preload on the pinion gear bearings, not good!
With the amount of miles you have, you're probably going to need a set of pinion and carrier bearings.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

73ChargerSE

So I took my truck down to the shop.  Found out my sure-grip unit was worn, and the clips came loose and were scraping around in there.  Didn't do anything to the gears thankfully.  Should be ready tomorrow morning.

dukeboy_318

Quote from: Todd Wilson on October 26, 2007, 12:07:21 AM
Should be the corporate 9 1/4 rear end. 75w140 synthetic gear and axle lube and a 5oz bottle of the Mopar Friction Modifier if its equiped with a trac lok/tow package. Hopefully it isnt going out but it might be. Sometimes the antilock brake sensor has a leak around where it screws in the top of the rear end housing.

Todd

no i dont remember the number, but i know its built by american axle now instead of being a chrysler built or a dana.  that changed back in 2003 on 1500 and 05 on the 2500s and 3500s.  American axles seem to be having issues with their limited slips and pinion seals getting messed up, but strength wise they are equal to danas.
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.