News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

breaking in headers dilemma

Started by AmadeusCharger500, October 27, 2007, 06:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

Instructions on my new hooker headers say they should not be used on engine break in. Since the car originally had single exhaust, I am not equipped to use a junk setup for the breakin.
I am thinking just use them and see what happens since I would have to buy another set either way according to the instructions.
Any suggestions?

firefighter3931

Most header manufacturers prefer that you don't use the headers for breakin because of heat issues. The paint will burn off the headers pretty fast so they're trying to avoid some negative feedback from customers. If the headers are ceramic coated the excess heat can also cause them to discolor.

Most heat problems that occur during breakin occur because of improper tuning....retarded timing or lean mixtures. It's important to set the timing as soon as the engine fires up.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

i agree use the headers & set the timing as soon as the engine starts , just keep advancing timing until RPM stops rising then set the float levels in the carb & adjust mixture screws to keep the heat down