News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why my starter does not engage to start until dumping clutch to the floor?

Started by Blakcharger440, October 17, 2007, 09:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

Hey guys,  I am in the process of restifying my 70 Charger RT and I purchased a new clutch kit,starter and flywheel and I am wondering why my starter does not engage to start the car until I have the clutch dumped almost all the way to the floor! :o

The clutch is a diaphragm type of clutch and I have removed the over center spring.

I have tried adjusting the clutch rod (screwing the adjuster nut futher on to the rod) and that makes the pressure plate just sit on the flywheel with no clearance so car does not want to start

And i have tried adjusting the clutch rod (backing the nut off) and I still have to practically "floor" the clutch until the starter then engages and able to start the car.

What is going on here? I want to figure out what is going on with this setup before I put my newly rebuilt trans in.

Charger-Bodie

do you have some serious crankshaft end play?....meaning is the thrust journal worn to the extreme allowing the crank to be able to go back and forth?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Blakcharger440

Quote from: 1hot68 on October 17, 2007, 09:24:45 PM
do you have some serious crankshaft end play?....meaning is the thrust journal worn to the extreme allowing the crank to be able to go back and forth?

Never thought about that. I purchased the motor as a running unit and it had a auto 727 behind it at the time and seemed to run fine....so I never checked it.

Also it seems like the pedal pressure is too high for such an inexpensive clutch that I have in it.

Blakcharger440

Anyone? I have heard that it could be the clutch pedal switch would need to be adjusted but how do you do that?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on October 19, 2007, 02:43:29 PM
Anyone? I have heard that it could be the clutch pedal switch would need to be adjusted but how do you do that?

ok so i trhink maybe i missunderstood youre question i thought you meant the starter would spin but not engage the ring gear but you meant it wont even turn ......... so to answer youre question again yes you should be able to adjust the switch either loosen the bolts and slide it or the bracket mat be bent too if so bend it back and the pedal shouldnt need to be pushed thru the floor to enable the starter.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Blakcharger440

Quote from: 1hot68 on October 19, 2007, 04:02:46 PM
Quote from: Blakcharger440 on October 19, 2007, 02:43:29 PM

ok so i trhink maybe i missunderstood youre question i thought you meant the starter would spin but not engage the ring gear but you meant it wont even turn ......... so to answer youre question again yes you should be able to adjust the switch either loosen the bolts and slide it or the bracket mat be bent too if so bend it back and the pedal shouldnt need to be pushed thru the floor to enable the starter.

I looked and their is no adjustment for the switch that I can see. Anybody have a guess at what it could be?

acelondon

The clutch should be on the floor to start. Save your clutch, starter and maybe somebody's life, and LEAVE it the way it is. Every Manual i've ever owned is like this from the factory.

RJS

You beat this subject to death on Moparts, There is nothing wrong with it!!  that's how it was designed to function...