News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question from Chrysler C.O.O.: How to Remove Hurst Shifter Handle?

Started by 69Charger500, October 23, 2007, 03:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Charger500

A friend called (actually, the Challenger Chief Engineer calling for our mutual friend, the former Chrysler C.O.O.) and said he was having trouble removing the Hurst shifter handle from his '70 Super Bee.  He's getting ready to install a high HP 440 in place of the original 383 (Now that's MY kind of COO!)...

Any tricks required other than just using the 0.010" feeler gauge to getting the handle out?

Thanks!

Joshua

Is his name Brad?????
I think that's the jist of it.....I beleive there is a rubber sleeve in the shifter "tower" along with the metal tin 'retainer'. If the rubber is deteriorated, it may get pinched when trying to remove the stick.

69Charger500

Don't know who Brad is...

So is the trick to just keep trying with the feeler gauge?  He's bent several so far...

Joshua

OK....a guy on another forum was asking for the same info ;D.....
Try a narrow putty knife, it's a little stiffer....it'll need narrowed to fit. Even then, these bayonnet style shifter handles can be a real pain to remove. Try down along each side of the handle, pushing down on the handle when doing so.....I forget which side the "lock" is....
I beleive the rubber and the tin retaining "sleeve" is supposed to come out WITH the handle.

69Charger500

tecmopar

It locks in on the drivers side, tell him to first spray some PB Blaster or WD-40 around the handle then use a .012 or .014 feeler gauge and while pushing down on the handle shove the FG in there about 3/4" (put a mark on it) and then pull up, it should come out, good luck.

Joshua

After looking at one, ya gotta put a shim, feeler gauge, etc down EACH side to unlock it.

John_Kunkel

It helps to push down firmly on the stick as you insert the feeler gauge on the drivers side of tghe stick. Once the feeler gauge gets past the lock tang pull up on the stick.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

69Charger500

Thanks for the updated info...

Always helps to know the tricks to some of these things!

Thanks again!