News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sell my project or keep?

Started by bullreed, October 13, 2007, 07:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullreed

Title says it all. I got this car a little over a year ago and have watched it gather dust ever since. I don't have the money to finish it right now and wonder if my heart is still in it.
The car is not a super rare model, yet is desireable. It is a big block car. One day I think sell it and let someone else enjoy it, the next I tellmyself it is costing me nothing to sit in the garage and keep it till I can finish it.

hemihead

I think if it's not costing you to let it sit, keep it. Everyone else says they're gonna fix someday so why not you ? :shruggy: Definately keep it.  :Twocents:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Chatt69chgr

Unless you need the money, keep it.  You can always sell it later.  They are never going to make these anymore.  I would, however, take an inventory of what is needed to finish the car parts wise and go ahead and pick up the hard to get stuff while it's available.  If you do sell the car, you can ebay that stuff.

bull

If someone handed me a $5 bill every time I had this same conversation with myself I'd have enough money to buy a perfect Hemi Charger. Only I've had mine for about five years instead of just one.

What's it going to hurt to leave it where it's at? Instead of thinking about selling or hoping to win the lottery, develop a plan of attack that will lead you to your goal of finishing the car. Do you have skills in engine rebuild, paint and body, interior restoration, etc.? If you do put them to use now, if not get a part-time job doing something that pays fairly well or that you enjoy and start socking away cash toward achieving your goals.

HITMAN 149

i agree!!!
if it's not costing you anything & your not in need of the cash!!! KEEP IT!!! maybe just right now it's not in your budget... but maybe in a bit it will be!?!?!? if you can pick up a piece here or there...lil by lil. at swap meets... driver quality stuff... doesn't have to be show pieces.. like we would all like!!! hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!!
:2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

41husk

I agree, if you are not in need of the cash and have the space, why sell? What exactly is the project 1st, 2nd 3rd gen 383, 400, 440?  Good luck what ever you decide.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

The70RT

I agree with everyone. I have had mine for 30 years and just noew am doing it.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dukeboy_318

i agree, keep it, just gather parts a little at a time, thats what im doing, im gathering parts that i know ill need and some that i mightneed and right now the car is sitting in the shed gathering dust as well, but im just working with my income level and budget, which isnt much considering im in college. Keep it man, you'll regret it if you dont
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

bullreed

Thanks everyone. I just hate to see a project sit, but I have been slowly gathering what it needs and will continue to.
Since I got consistant advice without anyone knowing for sure what kind of Charger I had I will spill the beans.
It is a 1972 Charger Rallye 440 that came from the factory with the ramcharger hood. No it's not a hemi, but I believeto be somewhat rarer
than most other 1972 Chargers. Add to that my first car from 27 years ago was a 1972 318 Charger. By coincidence my highschool Charger was B3 blue
with a white topand blue interior and my current project is B5 blue/white top andwhite interior.

Thanks again :2thumbs:

dukeboy_318

good descision man got any pics of this 440 charger?

41husk

I thought you said not very rare? a 72 rallye with a ramcharger hood, what is your house pet, a unicorn , the lockness monster, or big foot?  That is my dream car.  Should you sell it? Yep! to me!
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

700jfm

Don't sell I did the same thing with a 69 cuda in the 80's and sold it. Now every time i see one I almost cry  :brickwall:

400/6/PAC

You say you wonder if your heart is still in it.
Question is, was it ever in it?

dukeboy_318

Quote from: 400/6/PAC on October 13, 2007, 10:07:19 PM
You say you wonder if your heart is still in it.
Question is, was it ever in it?

Ive thoguht about selling mine before, but that doesnt mean my heart wasnt in it, i was just offered 5 times what i paid for it and duster and a 340 block thrown in too.  I turned him down after pondering it for about two weeks.  I say the guys heart is in it because he obivously wants the car to be enjoyed by someone who has the time and money for it, so yeah in my opinion his heart is in it otherwise, the car would be gone already.  Not to be a d**k or anything,  just my  :Twocents:
:cheers:

CaptMarvel

Quote from: bull on October 13, 2007, 08:49:21 AM
What's it going to hurt to leave it where it's at?

I agree, given the scarcity of chargers in the first place, and the fact that none of us, really ever truly stops loving them, Id say just park it, cover it (or better, put it away somewhere dry & safe) and wait until you can do it up right. If you let this one slip from you, you just may well be very very sorry in the future. Remember, were talkin old Mopar here, not a dime a dozen Camaro, Mustang or Nova. I havent come very far with my 68 R/T in the past 3 years, but I dont intend on ever letting it go...

tommymac

What They all said.... Keep It, Store it , grab up all the parts you can, someday it'll all come together ,Quickley, Bought my car in 82' parked it in 92,sat inside till last year now its on the road again a new 40 year old car ,with parts to spare.

41husk

Bullreed, do you have any pictures?
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

bullreed

No pics yet. Last time I tried to get pictures from my camera to the computer to the net I almost took a large hammer to said devices.
Someday I'll master it and post some. Picture a charger stripped down and in primer with parts scattered all over and you'll get the idea.
My garage looks like someone pulled the pin and tossed in a hand grenade! :lol:
Thanks

70charger_boy

The way I see it, is that you have the car.  That is the most important part of the investment.  If you sell it now 10 years down the road you will kick yourself in the head 

41husk

If you do decide to sell give us a chance here first, but unless I needed the cash or room I wwould just hold on to it until I was motivated enough to finish her :Twocents:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904