News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

anyone ever buy silver bars or coins?

Started by hutch, October 11, 2007, 11:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch

I was thinking about starting to buy some silver bars and coins for my kids down the road.  Anyone have any luck in this area.  How do you pull it off and not take a hair cut on shipping costs?

In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Slowpoke

I have never bought bars but have bought silver coins for a long time.
what kind of coins are you looking to buy?
makes a difference on where the best place to buy.
68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

hutch

nothing from a collector stand point. Just something thats 90% or better silver.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Slowpoke

For what they call junk silver (worn coins with little collector value, just silver value)
a good local coin dealer will treat you right
or one of the mail order stores if you are buying a large quanity
might be cheaper on price even with shipping.
you can find the mail order ones in ads in Cions or Coin prices magizines.
just would stay away from the ones with the huge color ads ( they have big overheads)
68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

bordin34

My grandpa bought about 5 100oz silver bars in the mid- 80's, with the inflation of money they are worth about the same today. Silver is worth $13.50 as of yesterday. One time my grandpa got robbed and the guy took a lot of his coin collection, but left a 100oz silver bar that was wrapped in paper and said paper weight on it.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Plumcrazy

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

41husk

I have a complete Buffalo Nickel collection and an extensive Morgan Dollar collection with a spackling of other coins.  I think coins are a verry risky investment.  Back in the late 80s coins went crazy, I bought mine a few years ago and had many passed down.  Prices seem to be going up, but like muscle cars, prices will fluctuate.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up