News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fuel pump

Started by dd44068, October 07, 2007, 08:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd44068

I believe that my fuel pump is bad. Any advice on how to change it, I have never done one before so any help and tips are very appreciated.
Thanks in advance.     Dom

70charger_boy

What motor do you have?  It's not hard at all.

Brightyellow69rtse

put some grease on the rod so it stays up in there when you let it go. it makes it a lot less of a pita.....Mike

Purple440

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on October 07, 2007, 10:39:45 PM
put some grease on the rod so it stays up in there when you let it go. it makes it a lot less of a pita.....Mike

Great advice.  :cheers:

dd44068

Mean 318

Two bolts on the pass side of the block hold it in. Just take the hoses off and the bolts... real EZ! It could be done in 1/2 an hour! NO PROB! :2thumbs:

max

on big blocks there is an allen head plug below the fuel pump. i have found it easier to take that plug out as well and the push rod will drop out once the fuel pump is out. then just do as mentioned above and put some grease on the rod and slide it back up in the hole and it will stay there while you put the new pump back on then put the plug back in below the fuel pump.

68 RT

When you change the pump also check the rod for wear. Might as well and replace both while you are at it. Not sure how long the rod is suppose to be but you can do a search on it.

VPFD13

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on October 07, 2007, 10:39:45 PM

Yep  My Dad showed me that.... after he watched me monkey with it for 20 minutes!
GO BIG OR GO HOME

To be born free man is an accident, to live as one a responsibility and to die as one an obligation

mindless1

I just went through this on my 440 a few weeks ago and it was a snap.  Some things to note - the fuel pump push rod should be 3.25 inches - there is an excellent thread on this forum about it at http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31186.0.html
Great idea about the grease to push the fuel push rod up and keep it there, that woulda saved me 10 minutes of cussing.
I wasn't able to get the allen nut out to measure the length but I recommend it if you can.
I also took the time to put on the fuel vapor separator, and to properly hook up the fuel return line.  Which pump are you going with?  I went with carter 4434, supposed to be an upgrade over the 4589, but make sure whichever comes with the right fittings and angle of inlet/outlet...they vary.  cheers

dd44068

Thanks for all of your help. I just ordered a new push rod so when I get it I will give it a shot.