News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 HP or 400

Started by MaMopar, October 17, 2007, 08:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaMopar

I am working a 68 Roadrunner, the 383 has been replaced with a 400.  Would it be a good idea to build this up or ry to find a 383 HP?  The car is not original, it spent it's life 1/4 at a time, 64,000 miles on the odometer.  It's got a lot of life left in her.  I have a limited budget what is the best road to go until I hit the lottery.

MaMopar
MaMopar

RD

i speak for a lot of people and say, get a stroker kit from 440source.com and stroke that puppy to 451 or 471 ci and call it good!!!! vrooom vrooooooom.... oh btw, 68 plymouths rock!
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ghoste

MaMopar

I think I'll check out the stroker kit from 440 source.  I have not heard a bad thing about these guys.  They seem like straight shooter.

MaMopar
MaMopar

Chryco Psycho

451 would be my choice the 400 block is a good piece

Challenger340

I sure like the lowdeck 400 block based 451 & 470 combinations. They make very good power and run well.

The last Flat Tappet Hydraulic Cam/Pump gas one I pulled off the dyno, made 587 ft/lbs & 569 H.P.

Had to sell it to "the kid".

Oh well, he's an employee, he got the cost "fringe benefit" pricing. I hope he don't quit on me now !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

70charger_boy

I had a 400 in my 69 fury convertible.  That motor kicked ass

aifilaw

Quote from: Challenger340 on October 31, 2007, 11:06:45 PM
I sure like the lowdeck 400 block based 451 & 470 combinations. They make very good power and run well.

The last Flat Tappet Hydraulic Cam/Pump gas one I pulled off the dyno, made 587 ft/lbs & 569 H.P.

Oh well, he's an employee, he got the cost "fringe benefit" pricing. I hope he don't quit on me now !

hah!

Yes, I agree, stroke the 400 and you'll have a good baseline, dont' forget to put your time into the heads, that's where the power is made and build it all up as a combo properly
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

AKcharger

Yeah unless you have the# matching block ot only makes sense to stick with a 400. I just put in the 470 kit. Longer piston skirts for durability

Steve P.

Quote from: Challenger340 on October 31, 2007, 11:06:45 PM

All dem ponies and a lighter motor than a RB to boot...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida