News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rebuilt 318 questions

Started by 788man, October 08, 2007, 02:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

788man

Okay so I picked up a used 1972 318 motor today. When I started taking it apart it was in wonderful shape inside and clearly had a fresh rebuild with a .030" over bore, the cam lobes are excellent as are the crank main and rod bearings. I checked the bores and they still have some cross hatch from the hone on the cylinder walls. How do I measure if the block or heads were shaved? The pistons have a valve relief, how do I determine the compression ratio? Does this mean that they are taller than stock? How do you determine the cam grind? Do you measure the largest diameter of the lobe vs. the smallest diameter?   :scratchchin:

Plumcrazy

To get the compression ratio you need to measure the size of the combustion chambers and how far down in the bores the pistons are.  Figure about 5cc for the valve reliefs

Then plug the numbers into this   http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

The measure the cam lift you can use a dial indicator to measure the difference between the base of the lobe and the high spot, them multiply by 1.5 to get the lift at the valve.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.