News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dukes event Va

Started by GL#10, June 03, 2012, 05:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Quote from: Ram07 on June 08, 2012, 07:33:28 AM
Get angry and the big budget movie makers that scoop up good cars off ebay or where ever and wreck them...they destroy more cars in one movie (more than likely) than the dukesfest thing has in 9 years....just a thought.

Exactly. Read my initial reply.

I still can't comprehend this thought process of destroying one for jollies. I can say with certainty that there are MANY other Charger enthusiasts with a true love for this hobby that would tend to agree.  :cheers:

However, I too have parted/disposed of two. Both were far, far gone "unrestorable", like your as mentioned $500 hulks. But, they were USED for something. One became a parts car for my '69. Stripped what I needed, cut up & sold off the rest. Glass went to Australia, fender aprons & a floor section to Canada, roof to upstate NY, the cowl to a member on here, suspension, K-frame, dash frame, etc etc etc. The other was a '70, that I picked up JUST FOR THE GRILLE.

Just a thought in case next time you're unsure what to do with that unwanted $500 hulk.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Back N Black

Its time to  :dancinglock: her up.

AirborneSilva

duanesterrr

I am against jumping chargers, just my opinion.  I can watch the show if I want to see some flying action.

What is interesting to me is the discussion about the impact of th DoH on the charger popularity.  I agree that it has increased the popularity but to quantify that increase is impossible without a parallel universe where the DoH never aired.   :lol:

The 2nd gen charger is the most badass car from the most badass time of the automotive industry so this clouds things a bit.  For example, when F&F needed a car they chose the charger.  They did not choose the charger because it was on the DoH, they chose it b/c it was badass and that is what they were looking for.  If I drive down street with the F&F car I will turn just as many heads as I would in a GL.  It is just my opinion, but I think the charger would be famous without the DoH... sometimes you can't stop greatness from being realized.

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ram07

I know of one old charger, just sitting in the bush(forest)....it's just there....couldn't tell you what year it is, best guess a 68....everything is gone...sitting there, upside down...nothing left of it...I know I can just go get it....it's on crown land, but why would I want to? Now as a "what if" type of question....if someone did go get it, and patch it up to make a jump...lotsa luck....but guess they could do it...would  that mean they are destroying a classic?
No one would ever want this thing.

jaak

Ahhh....Alas, it's that time of year again for the annual Dukes jump discussion! Like I have stated before, I don't condone it, but I can see why its done, and it's all boils down to money. If you got a rusty hulk with all good parts removed you got 3 options.....

1. Restore the car. Although AMD makes virtually every piece of metal for a charger, it is very expensive. Unless you got a rare Charger, buy the time its restored, you are way upside down in it. Money Lost.

2. Drag the hulk across the scales. I don't know what the price of scrap metal, but what will it bring now 300-400 bucks?

3. Take the hulk, put a couple of thousand into it to make a 50-footer GL, charge whatever the admission price is, and probably make a few thousand bucks.

Option 3 is the most profitable, which is why I think it is done. I don't think they are Charger haters wanting to destroy every car out there....they know people will come out and spend money to watch, we all like to make money.

And I will end (as I do every year) by saying, I'm not crazy about it either, but as long as my Charger is sitting in my shop not being jumped...I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Jason

Ghoste

Hence my question, are we angry about the act or the specific sub-culture that supports it?

bill440rt

Quote from: Ghoste on June 08, 2012, 10:52:26 AM
Hence my question, are we angry about the act or the specific sub-culture that supports it?

Excellent point.
Personally, I'm not angry about it nor I'm not losing sleep over it. I just can't comprehend the thought process as to why when there are possibly other options.
I'll end this too by saying this yearly debate gets more & more mundane.
Carry on.

Oh, and...     :dancinglock:

Ram07

Would be interesting to see the chevy/ford guys take on this....a lot of those cars are wrecked as well in tv shows/movies...sure a bunch of them get upset as well!

UH60L

" I don't care if these cars are just slapped together for the day, they're obviously restorable, driveable cars and they're completely ruining them so 23 rednecks can holler 'weeewwwwwwwww'."

Actually, the annual dukes event down in, I believe it's Tenessee or Georgia, according to what I have read, they try to use the same vehicles s over and over again, rebuilding them specifically for their show, thus "ruining" nothing for anyone, so that people who don't feel like anti-duke-trolling can go see a stunt show.

But hey, what do I know.   (google, it's your friend)