News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct '68 seat belt retractors ~ pics please

Started by bull, October 10, 2007, 09:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I need a picture of the correct style of seat belt retractors for a '68 Charger, or at least a visual verification based on the two different pictures below. Thanks in advance...

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bull

They are very similar but there are differences you can see if you look close. Mainly it's in the plastic housings.

8WHEELER

Bull, The top one with the larger retractor housing is what my 68's all have had.
But I better go check, but I think thats right............

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bull

Thanks Dan. While you're looking could you tell me how/if the plastic housings come off? I have a pair of the longer bench seat retractors and I'm wondering if they can be shortened. Now that I think about it though I bet the belt itself is shorter on the longer ones... maybe not.

Also, if I end up getting one of those you see pictured I'll need to get in there and treat the rust and I don't see that happening with the housings on.

Charger-Bodie

Bull get the plastic housings nice and warm , then they should slide off.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

y3chargerrt

bull

Quote from: 1hot68 on October 11, 2007, 07:15:51 AM

Good idea. I'll try than. Put them in the oven maybe? :scratchchin:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on October 11, 2007, 09:13:07 AM
Quote from: 1hot68 on October 11, 2007, 07:15:51 AM

Good idea. I'll try than. Put them in the oven maybe? :scratchchin:
if you dont mind the belts them selves geting wet id boil up some water in the microwave and just dip then and viola warm and damage free!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

bull

That is probably a good way to go. I'm sure they'll be good and dry by the time I get them in the car. :brickwall:

Have you done this before?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on October 11, 2007, 10:40:39 AM
That is probably a good way to go. I'm sure they'll be good and dry by the time I get them in the car. :brickwall:

Have you done this before?
  yes sir! it works pretty dang good too.

bull

Thanks. I like your sig by the way: Chargers are hybrid cars " they burn gasoline and rubber"

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on October 11, 2007, 11:52:09 AM
Thanks. I like your sig by the way: Chargers are hybrid cars " they burn gasoline and rubber"
Any time Bull! anything to help another charger guy! :2thumbs:

bull

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on October 11, 2007, 06:08:26 PM
So can anyone tell me which is correct? :shruggy:

is that the same set just flipped over?

keepat

I hope this picture helps! I know they are original to my 68 Charger!
Pat

8WHEELER

Yep, you just don't see the inside to often, the seat is in the way...............

Dan

bull

Thanks guys! The email didn't specify so I assumed I was seeing two different types of retractors instead of both sides of the same pair.

And just to confuse things more I present exhibit B (also out of a '68 Charger):

Chatt69chgr

I used a heat gun from Harbor Freight to get my plastic housings off.  Be very, very, careful to not overheat and damage the plastic though.

8WHEELER

And to mess with your head more Bull, these are my wife's seat belts, all original December build
date 68 RT Charger, We put new carpet in but the rest got put back in the way it came.

I think there is three different styles......... I have seen earlier ones that have no covers at all  :shruggy: its true.

Dan

bull

Thanks Dan. :brickwall: So do your wife's seatbelts look the same as these at the mounting hole? Does her car have chrome or painted seatbelt buckles? Do you think her style of belts carried over into January? Your wife is very nice and a real cutie BTW. :2thumbs:

8WHEELER

No, her belts don't flare out like that near the hole, they look like the top picture in that area.

Her front seat belt buckles are tan color matched, the rears are chrome, and there is only two  :shruggy:
The seats and seat belts had never been out before I bought it in 82, so I know they were original.

Dan

bull

Well, as usual it seems the early '68s were all over the board when it came to uniformity. I guess I'll just have to grab the first nice pair of short retractors I see and go with them. Actually, I think I'm going to convert the long bench seat pair I got out of a '68 Valiant. There's no bend in the base of the short ones like the long ones have is there?