News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What engine to build 318-2, 383-2, 383-4, 426-2x4

Started by 70 500, October 04, 2007, 12:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What engine should i replace my 383 with in my 70 500 charger

318 - 2
3 (13.6%)
383 - 2
0 (0%)
383 - 4 (another)
6 (27.3%)
426 - 2x4
7 (31.8%)
440 - 3x2
6 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

70 500

lookin at building a motor in my second semester of school at iowa lakes here in emmetsburg. going for automotive technology so i might as well work on my own stuff instead of somebody else's
hold my beer, this is gonna be fun

SeattleCharger

Is the 383 in it the original numbers matching engine?  Why aren't you going to rebuild that?  or if you are going to pull that and save it and put in a motor to drive it,  440  :2thumbs:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Blakcharger440

My vote is for none of the above,but a 440 - 4 would be my choice

Ghoste

If you're in school, I figure you are already watching your budget so I think you should rebuild the 383 you have now and save the crazy stuff for later.

Chryco Psycho

440 will build for the same cost as a 383 , do a 440 4 bbl

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on October 04, 2007, 10:41:15 PM
If you're in school, I figure you are already watching your budget so I think you should rebuild the 383 you have now and save the crazy stuff for later.
:iagree: I don't know too many students who can afford a 426. Finding one is a real trick too and even the ones that need rebuilt cost more than a new 440.

If you have the numbers engine or are into originality I'd go with the 383. If you don't give a flying you-know-what about that stuff than go with the 440/4.

SeattleCharger

noticed the 3x2 440 option,  ya, I would go with a four barrel, six pack is cool, but cost is high and a good four barrel intake and carb can have higher numbers anyways

alfanta

I say build a small block, Maybe im the only one, but They are hella cheaper than big blocks. Not as much power of course, but You get what you pay for.
Im in college and I was goign to build a 440, but after lookig at what it was goign to cost me, I found a 360(picked up engine and tranny for $50) and im building that instead.

hemihead

If you want to drive it much maybe you should go with a Small Block. A well built, well tuned Small Block is all you need on the street.It will still beat all the big blocks that nobody seems to know what they're doing with.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

70 500

the 383 is not the matching numbers engine so I'm not concerned about keeping it original. I've heard 383's can be bored and come out to about 438 does anyone know how these perform.

SeattleCharger

Quote from: 70 500 on October 09, 2007, 12:02:06 PM
the 383 is not the matching numbers engine so I'm not concerned about keeping it original. I've heard 383's can be bored and come out to about 438 does anyone know how these perform.

You might be talking about stroking it,  stroker crank and longer rods means more cubic inches,  way more torque,  cost is somewhat higher to do because you have to buy the special crank,  maybe some extra machine shop work to make rods clear sides of cylinder walls,
  but 383's advantage is that they rev up fast and some other things maybe some people can add, can't remember,  better at sustained high rpm's?   

MOPARHOUND!

1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

max

plan an engine according to your budget, if not then you will never get it finished.

since you already have the 383 then you don't need to put out extra money for a core engine to build, so there is a few dollars you are ahead right there.

70 500

stroke is what i meant yeah, well thx 4 the advice. any more tips lemme know, im leaning towards just using the 383 like i originally planned, even with scholarships school is still expensive. the problem with my 383 is that the car sat for 3 or 4 years and was never driven. it went from running rough one fall to being seized the next spring so i pulled the plugs and filled the block with fluid and freed it up so it would crank but now it wont fire, and i'm afraid to find out whats wrong when i tear it apart this winter.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Ghoste on October 04, 2007, 10:41:15 PM

:yesnod:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

70 500

The project

SeattleCharger

Quote from: 70 500 on October 09, 2007, 05:44:19 PM
The project

Very cool, love those wheels you have on there.   :2thumbs:   Can you lower the front a little?  maybe smaller front tires

70 500

definitely a possibilty, i plan on doing it eventually

Purple440