News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 or 400 Stroked

Started by my73charger, September 21, 2007, 01:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

my73charger

Just for giggles what kind of HP and torque could you get from a 383 or 400 stroked?  I have been seriously thinking about going that route with my next engine build.  A 383 seems to be a bullet proof motor.  I know I beat the one I had hard and it is still running strong in another car now.  I have a friend with a 383 in his Cuda and man he beats on that thing hard and it just takes it...

Ghoste

So how much money do you want to spend?  :D

Rolling_Thunder

pretty much - if you're going to be building a engine from the ground up, it doesnt make sense not to do a stroker...    you can always stroke a 383 though   :scratchchin:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Purple440

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on September 21, 2007, 08:44:29 PM
pretty much - if you're going to be building a engine from the ground up, it doesnt make sense not to do a stroker...    you can always stroke a 383 though   :scratchchin:

agreed - if I could do it over again, I'd stoke it.

aifilaw

I probably won't be stroking my 383 on my next personal buildup, but then again, I'm doing that for a reason.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

my73charger

Well I spent $5000 on my 440 build so give or take.  I do wish I would have stroked the 440.  I have a friend that just built a stroked 440 (he says it brings it out to a 500ci) and he is making about 100 horses more than me and even more torque.  That much more torque would really make this heavy 73 Charger hop off the line.  I am not sure I could get the kind of hp and torque I would like off a 383 or 400 stroker so I am just curious if any of you have any experience in this regard.

aifilaw

I used to specialize in 383 buildups, and have owned 3 of them personally, one of which was stroked to 426 without the overbore.
The plus side of the engine is really the fact that the block is bulletproof, bored or stroked it can take a beating of any kind and keep on ticking when a 400, 440, or most other big blocks regardless of ford, chevrolet, or otherwise would have blown out a cylinder wall, et cetera.

I've taken 383's, without stroking anywhere from 400 up to 500 hp at the flywheel (the 500 is derived since it never saw an engine dyno but a chassis dyno, and it pulled just short of 450 at the rear wheels), and to my knowledge they are all still running strong. These were all non-forced induction motors, and most of them what a lot of people would consider overly high compression ratio's... but getting high CR to run on pump gas is really a question of port work on the heads, quench, and the cam for the most part.

A stroker has more potential than the above regular 383's, but I've never built one trying to maximize HP, always torque. It's obviously possible to reach higher, and a 4.26" bore and 3.75" stroke is nothing to laugh at, and not overly stroked, so it has a lot of potential in the HP creating market. you could probably reach 550 at the flywheel if you were reaching with a well done set of heads and matching components buildup.

After that its time to start looking at forced induction, which again... they can handle easily.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

OttawaCharger

1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

68 charger freak

whats the difference betwen the 383 vs 400 ,bore, stroke?
68 charger, pro touring build ,mini tub,528 wedge,magnum-xl 6 speed,rms alterkation,martz 4 link,moser 8.75,custom interior

Nacho-RT74

BORE... rest is the same engine on everything
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

firefighter3931

A 470ci lowdeck is a pretty stout motor. The stroker will need some good heads (Edelbrock/Indy) to make the big power number so budjet that into the build.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

471_Magnum

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on September 21, 2007, 08:44:29 PM
pretty much - if you're going to be building a engine from the ground up, it doesnt make sense not to do a stroker... you can always stroke a 383 though :scratchchin:

The key is the heads. If you are going to invest in good flowing aftermarket heads, stroke it.

If your budget limits you to stock casting, stick with the stock stroke and save some bucks.

Tough to spec out a stroker that will give you streetable compression ratio with iron open chamber heads.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."