News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb and Intake question.......

Started by 69chargerboy, September 19, 2007, 11:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerboy

I need some expertise. I have a 440ci engine with an Edelbrock Dual Plane intake with a Holley 750 carb. Do I need any carb adapters for this to work? The reason I ask is that the Charger is an hour away at the shop. Thanks.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HLY%2D0%2D3310S&N=700+115&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL%2D2191&autoview=sku
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

68RT4ME

I have the same setup. 440 with Edel Alum. RPM Heads, Edel Perf. RPM dual plane intake, Holley 750 model 4160 w/vac secondary's and elect choke. Hooker SuperComp Ceramic headers.....Not sure what thats good for as far as horsepower/torque but, I'd guess it's a little better than stock and it sure feels like it.

The pic shows an Edelbrock 750 carb but, I just swapped it out this past weekend for the Holley..... Way better performance imo. No spacer was needed. I hope that helps.  :icon_smile_big:

'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

Tom_440

You need the plate in your intake pic to make the square bore carb fit your spread bore intake - once gasket for the bottom of the plate and one gasket for the top of the plate. You also need the rod that bolts to the carb for your throttle  cable to attach.

Joshua

You shouldn't need an adapter.....it doesn't look like it, but the carb will seal with the proper gasket.... ;D I've put square-bore carbs on spreadbore AFTERMARKET intakes many times with NO issues......the adapters are more suited for installing square-bore carbs to FACTORY intakes that are not drilled for 'em......

Also, an adaptor will add @ 1"-1 1/2" to the overall height, causing possible hood clearance issues....

myk

Can you still get another intake manifold?  The Eddy Performer isn't a good intake, known to be worse than stock.  Buy the Holley or Weiand if you can...

68RT4ME

Quote from: myk on September 19, 2007, 02:19:04 PM
Can you still get another intake manifold?  The Eddy Performer isn't a good intake, known to be worse than stock.  Buy the Holley or Weiand if you can...

What's wrong with it? (Edlel intake) I've had no issues nor have I heard of any (not to say there aren't any issues and mine being a Eddy Perf 440RPM model)
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

Joshua

There's nothing "wrong" with the Performer intake really,......but there are many better performance intakes out there........the RPM or the old Holley Street Dominators for example. The Performer is basically an Aluminum replacement for the factory Magnum intake.......

68RT4ME

Whooo, I use the RPM. Had me worried there for a min...lol  ;)

jg68

You DON'T need an adapter, there is NOTHING wrong with the perf. intake, i happen to like it better then the RPM on mild applications, i just sold my RPM & put the perf. i had back on with a 3310, so don't buy an adapter, just get the bracket for the Holley carb & chrysler linkage if you don't allready have one, use a square open style gasket & bolt her on :2thumbs:

69chargerboy

Quote from: 68RT4ME on September 19, 2007, 01:22:57 PM
I have the same setup. 440 with Edel Alum. RPM Heads, Edel Perf. RPM dual plane intake, Holley 750 model 4160 w/vac secondary's and elect choke. Hooker SuperComp Ceramic headers.....Not sure what thats good for as far as horsepower/torque but, I'd guess it's a little better than stock and it sure feels like it.

The pic shows an Edelbrock 750 carb but, I just swapped it out this past weekend for the Holley..... Way better performance imo. No spacer was needed. I hope that helps.  :icon_smile_big:

How does the Hooker Super Comps fit? I've heard a lot of starter and power steering issues. I bought the Hedman Ceramic headers. I haven't heard any issues with those. Plus, I like the way they look on the 68 Netherland Charger's 440....

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=HED%2D78036&FROM=MG

http://www.charger.nl/
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

Joshua

I have Hedman's......Hedman headers are VERY tight to a stock starter, and WILL hit a Hemi starter that is a little longer, requiring a small dent for clearance on one of the downtubes. Header needs to be unbolted to swap starters (I was going through starters like water for awhile :o).... I used a Mopar mini starter, plenty of room now....and no problems :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69chargerboy on September 19, 2007, 11:45:52 AM
I need some expertise. I have a 440ci engine with an Edelbrock Dual Plane intake with a Holley 750 carb. Do I need any carb adapters for this to work? The reason I ask is that the Charger is an hour away at the shop. Thanks.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HLY%2D0%2D3310S&N=700+115&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL%2D2191&autoview=sku

With the Performer RPM you don't need that plate....it's a square flange intake. The Performer should come with the adapter plate as it's a dual pattern manifold. A friend was using the Performer intake with a square bore carb and was having low idle vacuum issues....when i removed his carb i saw why....the carb was leaking around the base. We installed the plate and bingo....vacuum came back. This was with an edelbrock carb #1411 750cfm.

Some manifolds don't need the plate....the Street Dominator and M1 single plane are 2 that come to mind. The carb flange is meatier and seems to seal well with both styles of carbs, from my experience.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

jg68

Hey Ron, i forgot to say he might want to use a spacer of some sort :slap:, i'm running a 1/2 open with the 3310 & the 800dp & all seems well this way on the perf, i even ran the Demon on it & no leaks :cheers:

firefighter3931

Quote from: jg68 on September 19, 2007, 07:21:26 PM
Hey Ron, i forgot to say he might want to use a spacer of some sort :slap:, i'm running a 1/2 open with the 3310 & the 800dp & all seems well this way on the perf, i even ran the Demon on it & no leaks :cheers:

Joe, that's an excellent point...the phenolic spacer is a very good idea.  :2thumbs:

It'll have 2 functions...carb insulating/seal and increased plenum volume. With the heat conductivity of aluminum manifolds a blocked off heat crossover would be high on the list as well. The felpro # 1215 intake gasket set takes care of that.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

68RT4ME

Quote from: 69chargerboy on September 19, 2007, 03:54:46 PM
Quote from: 68RT4ME on September 19, 2007, 01:22:57 PM

How does the Hooker Super Comps fit? I've heard a lot of starter and power steering issues. I bought the Hedman Ceramic headers. I haven't heard any issues with those. Plus, I like the way they look on the 68 Netherland Charger's 440....

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=HED%2D78036&FROM=MG

http://www.charger.nl/

No clearence issues here either as I also have the mini starter. It is very tight on the drivers side torsion bar. Just be sure you get the SuperComps as the Comps don't clear the plugs very well with the Eddy Perf. RPM Heads.

dukeboy_318

yes you can run a holley on that rpm intake.  I know cause my 78 powerwagon has had one on the 360 for years and it works great, 437 hp and 500 ft lbs
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.