News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 Charger RT original owner WIW?? Pics

Started by lilwendal, September 20, 2007, 12:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilwendal

A guy comes pulling up to the house today in a 71 charger RT.  Really nice car. Says he heard about me doing Mopars and wanted my opinion. I told him honestly I only track 2nd gen cars and could not give  him a  educated estimate of value.   I was wondering if you 3rd gen guys could help? His story is original owner who recently broke his back and is having medical problems and of course the financial difficulties that comes with that.   First off I have no interest inthe car.  I only buy projects, but here it is.....
71 RT original owner. Hemi orange paint with black and orange interior.  Car is almost survivor status with one repaint 10 years ago. I slid under it and everything is very nice  with original trunk extensions, no signs of any rust and original undercoating.
The car has little issues that need attention'exaust leak, wiper motor inop' but overall looks very nice.
So what do you think he should ask for the car and do you think he should do any improvements before trying to sell.  Thanks in advance.

TUFCAT

Assuming it looks as good in real life as it does in pictures, I wouldn't take any less than $30,000.  It's probably worth more to the right buyer. Its a beautiful car, with the right color combo, and HAS A/C! 

TeeWJay426

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 20, 2007, 12:34:37 PM
Assuming it looks as good in real life as it does in pictures, I wouldn't take any less than $30,000.  It's probably worth more to the right buyer. Its a beautiful car, with the right color combo, and HAS A/C! 

I agree- I also would tell him only fix those 'minor' things you mentioned like the exhaust leak and wipers..... don't touch anything else! (Well, maybe a correct radiator cap....)
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

skip68

What's the V.I.N.  :shruggy:  :nana:  :smilielol:  Just kidding TUFCAT  :icon_smile_big:  I'm not sure on 3rd's but it looks great. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

lilwendal

Thats what he was thinking 30K.  Hes got some of the parts needed, Like the correct radiator cap Tufcat, and also some nice original items like the battery. He wanted me to repaint the tail panel and the hood insert and fix all the little things but I told him a I dont work on other peoples cars and  I believe he would not see any benifit in price doing those things.  I did agree to help him out with fixing the exhaust leak though after we BSed for a while.  It is a completley numbers matching car and looks better live then the pics. I see no sign of previous body work and the 10 year oldpaint is beautiful. After looking the car over it kinda grew on me. I might just have to do a 3rd gen next. :icon_smile_big:
New question.....  He says it has a second fender tag that is off the car listing the other options but here is a bit of a snag.  The fender tag you see below shows end after the 26 radiator code.  I thought when a fender tag continued to ahother you would not see end untillthe second fender tag.  Any thoughts?????

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

tttaziz

you're right on the fender tag.  If a two tag car, the first tag ends with CTD, and the second tag would lhave END.  The tag shown looks like the only one to me.

1972Rallye

Quote from: lilwendal on September 20, 2007, 05:45:07 PM
...  I thought when a fender tag continued to another you would not see end untill the second fender tag.  Any thoughts?????

Usually very true for L.A. and St. Loius built cars (this one is St. Loius).  It is common for Lynch Rd. cars, with limited options showing on the tag, to have a second blank tag for inspection marks.  There is a possibility he has a second tag with just the VIN on it, since this one is so full.  I have a pic of a St. Louis built Hemi Super Bee with 2 tags.  The second one only has the VIN on the bottom line and "26 END" for the next line (and inspection stamps).

That car is NICE! I love the color combo, but I could be biased  ;)... 30-35K is very reasonable if it is numbers matching. :Twocents:

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

41husk

i would agree with 30k if it looks that good,  There is a purple 71 Rt that has been restored at a area vintage car sales Gateway auto, They want 41k for that one and it was real clean and had a 440 I remember telling my wife it would be decent at 30-35k.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

konigcharger

Quote from: 1972Rallye on September 21, 2007, 06:26:32 AM
Quote from: lilwendal on September 20, 2007, 05:45:07 PM
...  I thought when a fender tag continued to another you would not see end until the second fender tag.  Any thoughts?????

Usually very true for L.A. and St. Louis built cars (this one is St. Louis).  It is common for Lynch Rd. cars, with limited options showing on the tag, to have a second blank tag for inspection marks.  There is a possibility he has a second tag with just the VIN on it, since this one is so full.  I have a pic of a St. Louis built Hemi Super Bee with 2 tags.  The second one only has the VIN on the bottom line and "26 END" for the next line (and inspection stamps).

That car is NICE! I love the color combo, but I could be biased  ;)... 30-35K is very reasonable if it is numbers matching. :Twocents:

:iagree: i have also seen 2nd tags that say stuff like: power windows, six way seat(only one wish i had saved the pic), special order, special paint, special pricing, etc...

or 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 which i assume is another form of inspection tag
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

MOPARHOUND!

Not just the radiator cap, but the radiator itself is aftermarket.

The second tag would be for inspection marks.  My low optioned 71 Charger R/T has the second tag with random stampings on it.

I'd give $25,000 right now  :callme:.  If he wants to wait and advertise it awhile, open market value probably closer to $30-31,000.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

lilwendal

Yeah I noticed the radiator when he was here and asked him about it. Changed it in the mid 80s. I asked if he kept it but he said he didn't. Funny that he kept the original battery though andnot the radiator. I tried to explain to him the importance of things like that, correct part numbers and date codes, and he thought numbers matching driveline was the only important thing.

MOPARHOUND!

Sorry to hear he didn't keep it.........one option mine does have is A/C...........yep, has the "Hemi" numbered radiator as part of the package.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."