News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 charger with a 340 small blk 1972 motor electric igniton

Started by ntty1, October 17, 2007, 08:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntty1

Can anybody help me? I'm trying to set the timing. I looked up the timing mark for my motor which is a 340. The engine came from a 1972 memon. I looked up the timing mark which said that it is 2 1/2 degrees bftc. I have a bigger cam. When i set the timing mark it seems like it is still missing. Is it possible, since it has a bigger cam @ electronic ignition the timing mark can change? The Carburetor is a carter 4 barrel. Can anybody help me?

Plumcrazy

Make sure you have a 70 or later harmonic balancer.  They moved the timing marks from the passenger side to the drivers side of the small blocks in 1970.
It's also possible the outer ring of the balancer has moved on the inner ring which means you would need a new balancer.

If there's no problem with the balancer try advancing the timing while watching the engine rpm's and see where the timing is when the rpm's no longer increase with more timing.  An aftermarket cam will probably want more initial advance than the stock cam.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.