News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can't get the axle end play out - way too loose - help!!

Started by professor-patrick, August 30, 2007, 09:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

professor-patrick

I'm putting together about my 15th 8 3/4 rearend, but something is different.  New axle seals and bearing like normal, new third member, but there is a ton of axle end play - more than an 1/8 inch on both sides.  I adjust the adjuster until the pass side is tight, but the driver side isn't affected, still about an 1/8 inch.  So much that the bearing are sitting right and the car is next to impossible to push on the ground.  I'm sure it's something obvious and I'm having a brain fart, so please enlighten me if you can.
Dr. Patrick Hagerman
Lead Designer - Scotlea Hot Rods
www.scotlea.com

chargerbr549

I am assuing that you might have a 68 and older suregrip with the plate style clutches and probably what happened is the buttons are missing that the axle shafts will butt up against during cornering, thats just my thoughts.

Kevin

no318

Is the pin between the axle shafts in the 3rd member?

professor-patrick

The pin is there, but I'm not familiar with "buttons" - can you elaborate?
Dr. Patrick Hagerman
www.scotlea.com

firefighter3931

Did these axles come out of the housing you're trying to install the centersection into ? Clutch or cone style suregrip ? Stock axle bearings or green bearings ?

There are 2 types of spacers depending on the suregrip unit. One style is 2 piece with a roll pin that holds them together and the other style is a solid block.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

professor-patrick

It's a solid block.  The sure-grip is from another rearend, C-body I believe, so the axles and housing came from one car, the sure-grip from another.
Dr. Patrick Hagerman
www.scotlea.com

firefighter3931

Quote from: professor-patrick on September 01, 2007, 07:02:27 AM
It's a solid block.  The sure-grip is from another rearend, C-body I believe, so the axles and housing came from one car, the sure-grip from another.

Ok, next question ; The center that came out of the housing that you are rebuilding....what case # was it ? What is the case # of the unit you are trying to install ? What suregrip unit does the new centersection have....cone style or clutch pack ?

If i'm reading this right ; it sounds like the bearing retainer will not sit flush against the axle flange...correct or not ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

professor-patrick

Dr. Patrick Hagerman
www.scotlea.com

professor-patrick

The bearing retainer sits flush against the axle flange, bolts up tight, just a lot of axle end play that I can't get out by adjusting the pass side adjuster - the adjuster has no effect on the pass side end play.
Dr. Patrick Hagerman
www.scotlea.com

firefighter3931