News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gas Tank

Started by lee, September 03, 2007, 11:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lee

What do I have to do to put my new sending unit in my gas tank are those special j bolts holding the straps or can i cut the rusty ones off and bent a chunk off ready rod and what is the deal with the filler tube does it just pull out when i pull down the tank I want to know what to do before i take it apart and i don't know if i'm in the right category theres no fuel in any one of these headings thanks

Steve P.

Unless you need to remove your tank to clean it or change hardware, leave it in and change the sending unit from underneath.

Put the car up on stands. (Nice and solid).
Clean off the tank unit and the area around it. (You don't want crap getting into the tank or stuck to the seal).

Clamp off the hoses. (I pinch them with small vise grips).

Remove the clamps at the unit side. (I cut them as I replace the hoses with a new unit). Suggested..  :2thumbs:

I use a brass driver to turn out the set ring. (Brass is recommended so no sparks will fly when striking it).

Once the ring is off the unit can be snaked out.

Inspect the tank sealing area for rust. If rust is present there I would replace the tank. It would not be long and even a new seal will not hold back the fuel.

(The new unit should have come with a sock. Make sure you use it).

Install in reverse of the above steps.

I spray a quick shot of white lithium grease on the new seal and whip it around it with my fingers. This lubricates the seal so that it will not tear when seating it and turning on the set ring.

I also replace all rubber hoses and their clamps when doing this job. It's just good insurance.

Good luck...   
Oh yeah, beer after it's all done and you've filled the tank to around 3/4 full. with no leaks.  :cheers:

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

lee

thanks i was just going to bull in there and start taking it out

lee

no i got to take it off i can not get it to come that easy so how about the filler rubber does it just slide in and out or what thanks

Heck2G14

Yep it just slides out. Not straight down though so it may be tough unless you loosen the filler neck mounts up by the fill location . Good luck.  ;) 

FYI~~~~~Always replace that Filler neck O-ring :2thumbs:

Steve P.

Lee, what car are you working on??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida