News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

pre- oiling a big block motor

Started by 89MOPAR, August 29, 2007, 12:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

89MOPAR

My friend has a 440 motor that was built about a yaer ago. It has never been turned over or fired yet .Now It's installed in a car and ready to be fired. He wants to pre oil it by removing the distributor, and spinning the oil pump drive counterclockwise.

Been awhile since I worked on a big block.
If the oil pump gear intersects with the cam gear and the cam is connected to the crank by the timing chain - then will he be spinning the whole motor over ??
Need to remove spark plugs so drill is not fighting the compression ?

Does the oil pump gear that intersects the camshaft need to removed  to directly spin the pump - so there would be direct connection to the oil pump ?   Thanks
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

firefighter3931

Yes, the oil pump drive must be removed....the priming rod goes into the oil pump directly.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

89MOPAR

Yep, forgot the oil pump drive was like an intermediate shaft, thanks firefighter
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400

aifilaw

Get yourself a 1-1/4" Socket and slowly turn the engine over as you run the pre-oiling to ensure complete oil flow over all parts where it belongs. especially in the top-side of the block where it won't show up unless you are turning the crank while oiling.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

firefighter3931

:iagree: Rotate the engine over and look at the rocker arms....when you see oil it will be primed.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

89MOPAR

Thanks Gentlemen, we rotated the motor as suggested and saw the oil at the head.
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400

firefighter3931

AKcharger

do you turn the primer rod clock wise or CCwise?

firefighter3931

Quote from: AKcharger on September 01, 2007, 05:04:07 PM
do you turn the primer rod clock wise or CCwise?

Counter clock wise...same direction as engine rotation.  ;)

Ron

AKcharger