News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Twin Deck lid fuel fillers???

Started by SnoPro440, April 13, 2008, 10:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnoPro440

This 68 is on ebay and the description says "CAR HAS RARE TWIN DECK LID GAS FILLERS 1 OF 202 MADE".   That wasn't an option was it??  I think I have seen one before but it was added by the owner, not an option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Charger-RT-1968-DODGE-CHARGER-RT-440-375-HORSE-S-MATCHING_W0QQitemZ330226770638QQcmdZViewItem

2008 Viper SRT-10
1968 Charger R/T
2019 Rubicon JLU

Ghoste

He's making it up.  It was considered in the early styling phases and dropped because of cost when the cars were still in the clay model stage.  It was never an option.

69charger2002

i love how people just come up with made up info. what's sad is 75% of potential charger buyers have no clue if that's true or not. i could just hear me at 16 running to my dad and saying.. "dad i need this one! it has a rare dual flip top cap!!". hell i didn't know back then.. wonder if it's 1 of 202 with the faded hood option for $20k reserve not met!
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

twenty mike mike

You can tell it has the "dual fuel" option by the special VIN.   :smilielol:

Brock Samson

i know the supercharger and what ever the 1968 version was had an extra dummy cap...
BTW: though i suspect rolls royces may have them i could only conferm the two below as actually outfitted with twin gas caps...
I guess it's a british thing...  :shruggy: maybe some of our friends across the pond would know...

BROCK

Yes, the Jag XJ series had twin fillers & all accounts I've seen show the Charger was designed to have
them.  I've often thought it would be cool to build one that way.  I once had the oportunity to talk
to a guy that retrofitted XJs with chevy V8s for a living.  He said something about saddletanks & it isn't
a cut n dry conversion to add a second filler.  I know better now.  The real trouble with adding a 2nd
filler is casting the mounting piece that the fliptop gascap attaches to.  If you can do that then making
the fendertop changes must be simple hammer & dolly work.  I can't do either:  MoPar didn't cast a
right side filler mount - clay is my bet. 
The cost to actually have built Chargers with dual fillers?  Different right quarter stamping (I bet through
1970 the same stamps made quarters)  Twice as many filler tubes gascaps & vent tubes made (not to
mention gaskets & seals)  different trunk floor & gastank really don't count because having these parts
different from all otheir other cars at the time would have dictated all have 2 gas fillers or just 1. 
A separate stamping for the upper gastank, trunk floor, right quarter & casting for the right filler base
are in short way too costly for 200+  cars with no other benefit at al than "looky here".  Not NASCAR.
No. Sanctioned racing that these cars entered all had the pits on the left side........

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

Arthu®

Quote from: Brock Samson on April 13, 2008, 12:29:27 PM
  i know the supercharger and what ever the 1968 version was had an extra dummy cap...
BTW: though i suspect rolls royces may have them i could only conferm the two below as actually outfitted with twin gas caps...
I guess it's a british thing...  :shruggy: maybe some of our friends across the pond would know...

Those two examples you give both don't only have two filler caps they have 2 fuel tanks. In the Mini the two seperate tanks are linked together, but in the XJ's and some Land Rovers that I know of that have 2 seperate tanks you have a switch on the dashboad that selects which tank is in use, which will always break down, because afterall it's British. In the Mini I know for sure that it was to expand it's range for Rally's. The Mini came standard with a 25l tank and that would not get you very far. Of the Mini you showed I'm 99% sure that it is an aftermarket add-on. So the main difference between these and the Charger is that they all have seperate fuel tanks and not 2 fillers for 1 tank. I have never seen a car that has that.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

Hemidog

ChargerSG

That Sinister Charger sure looks great... :yesnod:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

dkn1997

that needs decent amount of work too.  lots of dash hacking, wrong engine color, remove gas cap, etc....still a nice car if it's as rust free as he says
RECHRGED

BigBlackDodge

Maybe the guy customized 201 other Chargers just like it... :icon_smile_big:

BBD

Ghoste

What are you saying, he's like Travis' evil twin or something?

69charger2002

i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Ghoste

Okay, but you're not denying you could have an evil twin out there?

yeahitsgotahemi!

I've seen that car. The dude lives in a trailer park home. I was giving a co-worker a ride home and saw it. I spoke with the guy around the time the Dukes of Hazzard movie was in theaters. Guy claimed that with the recent DOH movie, his car was worth a 100k. Ridiculous. The car looked like a POS. It had some crappy stickers in the rear window and look like it was his daily driver. What a shame. He gave me the rare "twin gas cap" B.S. too. Oh well.
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

Neal_J

The wide-shot photo taken from the rear of the car is fuzzy, but am I the only one that thinks the gas cap on the left has some black paint on top?  Would that make it the even-rarer Dual 69-70 Gas Cap on a 68 Option?? 

Whoops, the close-up rear shot in the truck appears to show no filler pipe from the right side cap.  So, now it's the Super Double-Rare 69-70 Non-Functional Gas Cap on a 68.  Somebody call Galen, it's now a 1 of 1 !!!!!!!!!!

Peace,

Neal

charger_mike75

I couldn't tell if it even had a filler neck on the pass side cap, does look like a 69-70 cap

Dave22443

My mother-in-law has a 1989 Ford pickup truck with two gas caps  :nana:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Charger_Fan

Check out the trunk weatherstripping...looks like heater hose sliced lengthwise. :smilielol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

PocketThunder

$20,000 and reserve not met?!  Am i the only one who thinks that car is only worth $20,000?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Dave22443

Actually, I think you are being generous.  I don't think its worth 20K.  I'm not at all convinced that its a real R/T (base model emblem on rear, no stripe, no VIN to prove it) and thats probably a 383 under the hood with a 440 pie tin on it.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

nh_mopar_fan

Has anyone dropped him a line to try to set him straight on the "rare" option?

PocketThunder

Quote from: Dave22443 on April 14, 2008, 01:57:52 PM
Actually, I think you are being generous.  I don't think its worth 20K.  I'm not at all convinced that its a real R/T (base model emblem on rear, no stripe, no VIN to prove it) and thats probably a 383 under the hood with a 440 pie tin on it.

I should e-mail the only bidder and tell him my car is for sale for just 40% more than he is already willing to pay.  :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Old Moparz

Quote from: yeahitsgotahemi! on April 13, 2008, 08:20:13 PM
I've seen that car. The dude lives in a trailer park home. I was giving a co-worker a ride home and saw it. I spoke with the guy around the time the Dukes of Hazzard movie was in theaters. Guy claimed that with the recent DOH movie, his car was worth a 100k. Ridiculous. The car looked like a POS. It had some crappy stickers in the rear window and look like it was his daily driver. What a shame. He gave me the rare "twin gas cap" B.S. too. Oh well.

Hmm, now if I had a car that I could sell for 6 figures that would get me out of a trailer park......  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry