News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Radiator advice

Started by Harlow, August 14, 2007, 09:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow

My radiator is at a shop. The core is completely shot. They said that a new core was going to cost about 280. Should I just buy an aftermarket radiator from summit? It looks like they go for about 150. What would you do, and which radiator would you suggest? My original radiator is a 26".

Charger-Bodie

i personally would go with the recore and have it look factory!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

aifilaw

really depends if you want it to look factory.... if not and you want efficiency... get the biggest aluminum radiator from wherever is cheap and provides a quality product that you can fit in there
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Charger1973

I would go for aftermarket aluminum unless its a stock resto.   :Twocents:  I think they look better and they are more efficient. 

supserdave

280 for a recore seems steep. If you don't care that it doesn't look stock, get an aluminum one.

41husk

$280 is not real bad for a recore, I paid $250.  I agree if you want to keep the stock look go recore if not get the after market.  I doubt there is the great a difference in cooling between a good recore and a cheep after market.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

terrible one

Unless you are all about factory, get the aluminum man! For half price too. That's what I'm going to do. Get the aluminum one, drill a few extra holes, and keep the extra $200 in the bank.

six-tee-nine

Same for me....alloy radiator with electric fans will go into mine
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

41husk

In case you like going to a few shows, most local shows would not even notice a non stock radiator,  Infact, many of the small local shows around me don't even know mopars engine bays are body color :shruggy:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

70charger_boy

Well, I just bought an aftermarket and I'm totally not happy with it.  i have a 26 inch too.  It didn't come with the trans cooler fittings.  I don't want to hijack your thread, but does anybody know what size the fittings are?

zerfetzen

Just out of curiosity, I went to Summit online, told it I need a radiator for a 69 charger with a 440 and manual (someday, right), and there were a few BeCool radiators, ranging from $500 to $1150.  They have notes at the bottom that say 350hp max, 400hp max with an electric fan.  That won't even support a stock 440 (underated 375hp, YearOne's crate 440 is 420hp)!

So where do you go to get a decent aftermarket radiator that doesn't cost a left arm, bolts right in, and actually supports some hp?
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

4aThrill

I found that Radiator. com has some good prices for a 71 Charger with a 383, a radiator would be from 128 to 400 depending on what I want stock or aftermarket. I didn't buy anything, since i am looking around for prices so far they sound like the best deal. They have live chat so that you can talk to them online instead on the phone.

:Twocents:

bull

In some cases your original radiator can be worth lots of $$$ so I'd be somewhat hesitant to replace it completely, unless you plan on simply storing it somewhere. What numbers are stamped on the top? If your car is a '70 Charger 318 car and it's 26" you have a winner! Ding, ding! It's also a numbers matching radiator for an AAR Cuda or T/A Challenger, currently worth $350-$500.

At any rate, just be sure what you have before you get rid of it.

70charger_boy

Quote from: bull on August 19, 2007, 11:49:53 AM
In some cases your original radiator can be worth lots of $$$ so I'd be somewhat hesitant to replace it completely, unless you plan on simply storing it somewhere. What numbers are stamped on the top? If your car is a '70 Charger 318 car and it's 26" you have a winner! Ding, ding! It's also a numbers matching radiator for an AAR Cuda or T/A Challenger, currently worth $350-$500.

At any rate, just be sure what you have before you get rid of it.

Curtis, I have a 70 charger 318 with ac and a 26 inch radiator.  I have the stamp number, but it is at work.  I will post it later.  Well, I took my radiator to a shop to get a price on a recore.  I called the guy at least 5 or 6 times and he kept saying that he didn't get a price yet.  I remebered a while back that you sold a radiator like mine on ebay for 400 bucks.  So, I ran across a radiator on Ebay for sale in Rhode Island and began to suspect that the guy from the radiator shop was selling my radiator.  I went over there and he told me he threw it away. After, a couple of threats and police involvement he said he found it.  Thank god!!  I got it back, wich is great, but the guy actually charged me 20 bucks for a leak test.  He said it would cost $308.00 for it to be recored.  I bought an aftermarket on ebay and transferred my transcooler fittings on it and I tested it out today and it ran great! 

I know from hunting down a radiator for a few months it is really hard to find a 26 inch.  If your looking for an inexpensive radiator get a Silla radiator.  just make sure to keep your old fittings, overflow hose, and cap

bull

Yea, you really have to watch those guys. Some will try to rob you if they know what you have.

Your numbers should be 2998 974 like this one that's at $500 and still going: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-T-A-Challenger-AAR-Cuda-Radiator_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34201QQihZ006QQitemZ160147373267QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

70charger_boy

Curtis, my numbers are 2998952 and there are numbers below it that read 18398.  I'm not sure if this is a big ticket radiator

bull

Quote from: 70charger_boy on August 20, 2007, 06:38:54 AM
Curtis, my numbers are 2998952 and there are numbers below it that read 18398.  I'm not sure if this is a big ticket radiator

According to this chart (http://www.mopar1.us/radiator.txt) that radiator blongs to a C-body car with A/C and both auto and manual transmission:       

PART      YEAR    BODY DM   ENGINE     TRAN     HTR       REMARKS

2998952   1970   C       26       318       BOTH       A/C

18398 designates the factory where it was built. Most Mopar radiators have the 18398 number I believe.