News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody else have to deal with this

Started by dukeboy_318, August 13, 2007, 05:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dukeboy_318

I'm currently in college working on my 4 year degree, I'm just starting my 5 semster(junior year) and i am still fighting the same stuff with my finacial aid, books and you name it.  :icon_smile_angry: I've had to fight this stuff every semster,  :brickwall: :brickwall: For example, finacial aid wouldn't accept a payment because my parents are supposedly not an authorized payer(how i don't know :shruggy:) and the book store won't give out the list of books that are needed for my classes unless I buy the books from there which will cost over 700 dollars compared to 300 on amazon. com.  :flame: GRRRRRRRRRRRR :icon_smile_angry:  Sorry, just venting frustration.
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

I personally haven't had much trouble.  I did have an instance my first semester where I had a scholarship and they sent me an email the day that registration for classes ended (2 weeks into the semester) and said that I was only signed up for 15 credits and not the required 16 for the scholarship.  I was like where the F--- was this stated at?!  I was so mad because I had talked to 3 different faculty members before the semester about the classes I had signed up for and the scholarships and such and they all said I was in the clear.  So I signed up for a PE class and kept my scholarship.

I haven't had any trouble with the bookstore here.  They are very helpful (most of them anyway) in saying what books are needed and even giving you a list of the bar code number thingies.  If they won't help you just email your proffessors, they will probably tell you what books you'll be using.  The bookstore probably also has a refund option for changing classes and such the first week or 2 of the semester.  Just buy the books to get the info you need then take them back and return them.  If they ask why tell them you're dropping out or taking a semester off and don't need them.  I bet they'll take them back.
When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

dukeboy_318

This is the first time i've had problems with the bookstore, they told me it was a new "policy" for this fall.

Brock Samson

oh man, your bringing back (bad) memories,..
I couldn't wait to get out, and just get a job,.. in fact after three years that's just what I did...
  Going for a degree isn't for everyone... good luck with the system,..  good thing you got a scholarship.

Charger1973

Yeah this is my first semester and what a pain in the ass.  I took 2 classes over the summer as pre-requisites to my IT program.  I have been trying to register for classes for a couple weeks now and they wont let me.  I have to be accepted into the program first.  Before I can be accepted in, they have to see my "official" grades, even though I got straight A's.  One class I passed with 102%.  Grades arent posted until the 15th at noon.   I have to be accepted to the program before I can attend orientaton, so I can register for my classes.  Guess when the LAST orientation is?  The 15th at 1pm.  That gives me 1 hour from the time grades are posted to get them looked at by admissions, approved, and be accepted into the program.  Not only that but now I am guaranteed to get a crappy schedule since I couldnt register early...  This is assuming they arent already full.  What the hell kind of a system is that?    :shruggy: :brickwall:

dukeboy_318

I know good luck with getting started.  It really sucks

PocketThunder

Graduated from college in 1999, and at the time i never wanted to leave.  Now, 8 years later i could never go back.  Homework sucks..
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

ChgrSteve67

My cousin has a masters degree and makes 55K a year.

I attended a 2 year trade school and make 100k+ a year.

Glad I didn't have to put up with that crap.

Steve

moparguy01

i always had to fight with those bastards at the colleges. but the bookstore made you find your own books here, so i went down with my class list, found what i needed, wrote down the numbers and went home to find them online. boy it made them mad. haha

68chrgrwife

be careful abou t buying books and trying to return them.  A friend of mine tried that trick and got screwed...they told her that the buy back price was a lot less than the origianl sale price..even though it was the first day of classes and obviously the books weren't used......
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

1carcrazyguy

I hear your pain.  My wife has been in college for a total of 10 years now and it is constantly one hurdle after the next.  :smash:   Good luck and hang in there.   Have you considered going to the student government or your academic advisor to ask about the book policy?? 

dukeboy_318

To add more dram to this thing, I'm in the national guard currently as well and I am enrolled in ROTC.  My civilian employor just told me this morning (afterI've worked for them for more than 2yrs), that ROTC doesnot count as military and told me that I can't miss work to participate in ROTC or I'll get "disiciplined".  WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TOO?  What happened to the support our troops thing?  I don't take part in any military discounts or anything like that, but I kind expect a little bit of respect and understanding from my employer about my duties.  I'd quit my, but i can't afford too(it pays for my charger toys :2thumbs: as well as college) Man i need a vacation.

ChgrSteve67

ROTC isn't the Military - National Guard is the Military.
Don't know why you would do the ROTC thing if you are already in the NG - easy college credits?
Your Civilian employer does not have to give you time off for ROTC activities, that what vacation time or PTO is for.
But he has to give you time off for National Guard activities and cannot discipline you for missing work.

Respect must be given from both sides, your employer has a business that supports the livelyhood of himself, his family and the others that work for him. Everytime you miss work he looses productivity which translates into money thus he doesn't get to grow his business, hire more employees, buy his toys or be able to pay for his kids to go to college. Put yourself in his position.

As far as the "Support our Troops" comment.
People bust thier a$$ everyday sending supplies and letters to our troops over seas, helping the families that are doing without thier love ones while they are away or have lost thier loved ones all together, as well as those comming back without arms and legs.
I could go on and on what "Support" means but I think you get the idea.

You should be happy to be here putting up with your college and employer problems instead of being in the middle east picking sand out of your a$$.

Steve

dukeboy_318

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on August 14, 2007, 11:25:34 AM
ROTC isn't the Military - National Guard is the Military.
Don't know why you would do the ROTC thing if you are already in the NG - easy college credits?
Your Civilian employer does not have to give you time off for ROTC activities, that what vacation time or PTO is for.
But he has to give you time off for National Guard activities and cannot discipline you for missing work.

Respect must be given from both sides, your employer has a business that supports the livelyhood of himself, his family and the others that work for him. Everytime you miss work he looses productivity which translates into money thus he doesn't get to grow his business, hire more employees, buy his toys or be able to pay for his kids to go to college. Put yourself in his position.

As far as the "Support our Troops" comment.
People bust thier a$$ everyday sending supplies and letters to our troops over seas, helping the families that are doing without thier love ones while they are away or have lost thier loved ones all together, as well as those comming back without arms and legs.
I could go on and on what "Support" means but I think you get the idea.

You should be happy to be here putting up with your college and employer problems instead of being in the middle east picking sand out of your a$$.

Steve

Oh understand his position and yours for the most part as well.  The one thing I must disagree with you on the ROTC thing.  I'm under a program called Simutamulus Membership Program.  It is a commissioning program designed for those that are aldreay enlisted soldiers to become officers.  When I signed the contract,  my  ROTC trumps national guard and is definetly military.  THe contract is to go through ROTC and Spend an extra 8 years in the National Guard.  I hope this clears it up a little.  Also, the reason i made the "Support our Troops" comment is because this is not the first time he has pulled this.  THis is actually the 4th time.  THe other three were all drill weekends with the nationa guard(not ROTC) and he tried to disicpline me for missing work.  I understand that we are short-staffed and I try to help out and come in on my days off and work over etc.  What gets me most is that i work for the State department of the military and pull gate security for a nationa guard post. :RantExplode:  I'm also glad that i'm not overthere right now, but still as much of my personal time that i've given to cover shortages so that overtime payments are kept to a minimal, i expect a little understanding and cooperation of their part.

Ponch ®

I couldn't even get financial aid the first few years I was in college and have even had to miss entire years because of it - the past year included. I'm actually getting it this year for the first time. I'm a little confused cuz up until yesterday my school account showed that I didn't owe any $$ due to my anticipated aid, but this morning it says I owe the tuition amount and my 'anticipated aid' is not showing any more. Been trying to call the Financial Aid office all morning but its busy. If I don't get a hold of them, I might have to break down and go up there after work.

Ah well...college has been a calvary for me...but I've been putting myself through it all these years with practically no help from anyone (the concept of a "college fund" was foreign to my parents/family). When I'm finally done - even if I'm 40, I'll always take satisfaction in knowing that somehow I managed to pull it off on my own.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

68chrgrwife

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 14, 2007, 02:14:21 PM
I couldn't even get financial aid the first few years I was in college and have even had to miss entire years because of it - the past year included. I'm actually getting it this year for the first time. I'm a little confused cuz up until yesterday my school account showed that I didn't owe any $$ due to my anticipated aid, but this morning it says I owe the tuition amount and my 'anticipated aid' is not showing any more. Been trying to call the Financial Aid office all morning but its busy. If I don't get a hold of them, I might have to break down and go up there after work.

Ah well...college has been a calvary for me...but I've been putting myself through it all these years with practically no help from anyone (the concept of a "college fund" was foreign to my parents/family). When I'm finally done - even if I'm 40, I'll always take satisfaction in knowing that somehow I managed to pull it off on my own.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems..I just want to say that I know a few people who say they are not saving for their kids college either...their reasoning....."you can always get financial aid or scholarships.  There are many ways to pay your own way though college."  I personally feel sorry for those kids, My great-grandparents had money set aside for me and my brothers for college (although so far I am the only one who got any of it and it wasn't much that I used.....).  They lived thru the depression and realized that money is a luxury.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

Ponch ®

Quote from: 68chrgrwife on August 14, 2007, 02:20:54 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on August 14, 2007, 02:14:21 PM

Sorry to hear that you are having problems..I just want to say that I know a few people who say they are not saving for their kids college either...their reasoning....."you can always get financial aid or scholarships.  There are many ways to pay your own way though college."  I personally feel sorry for those kids, My great-grandparents had money set aside for me and my brothers for college (although so far I am the only one who got any of it and it wasn't much that I used.....).  They lived thru the depression and realized that money is a luxury.

Thanks...I'm not too worried about it, really. As far as I know I did everything I was supposed as far as doing all the paperwork and whatnot. I should have it straightened out one way or the other by the end of the day (I hope).

I know that the reason for my family's lack of 'investment' was simply due to not knowing any better. Even though my family's been here since my grandparents came here in the 50's and most of their children grew up here, I'm the first one to go to college. So, they just didn't know - and they were also under the false perception that "there's always government/financial aid" to help or to pay for it altogether. The lesson's been learned though - most of my younger siblings and cousins NOW have something set up for them. I'm still pretty peeved that my mom is going to be spending $10K a year to send my sister to a private all-girls high school when most of the public schools in our area are very reputable - I keep insisting that that money would be better put away for when she goes to college and actually has to pay for school. But what do I know...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Really?

GI Bill and I worked p/t for a great man. Even if you wind up not doing what you originally went for, having a degree is important. I work in something totally unrelated, but the ability to commit and see something through says more than your mouth or a flowery resume` can. Push on through.

Charger1973

I got registered today for all my fall classes.  It was a stupid system but I was early and on top of things and got done ahead of schedule.  I even managed to get Fridays off.   :2thumbs:

skip68

Most college's have a web page that will offer a "For Sale" area of used books, supplies, etc. , try it,... it will save you allot of money!!! Also since you are new to the school, look for the older students, and make friends. You could get a great deal by getting their used books! Hope it helps!! good luck!
Mrs.Skip68 ;)
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!