News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Survivor

Started by JMF, August 10, 2007, 06:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Quote from: no318 on August 10, 2007, 06:51:32 PM
Quote from: Troy on August 10, 2007, 11:47:04 AM
Yes, rear sway bar too. If I could read all that paperwork it would be handy. That car is the only other bronze 68 that I've seen with a white top (mine is the first). The paint is really washed out looking in the pictures but you can see the true color in the trunk and engine bay. It has a black interior though which matches almost all of the other bronze cars (mine and a Hemi car that's local to me have white). That would be a cool one to find but I can't afford to buy it at that price.

Troy

My 68 RT is (was and will be, currently in primer) turbine bronze with white top, stripe and interior.  Black dash, carpet and console. 

I really think this is an attractive car, but there are a few too many ????'s for my liking.  (And, I agree, I can't afford it.)  USUALLY where there smoke there is fire.
That's cool! So, you build yours first and then I'll see if I like it. ;) Yours is an R/T and mine is a non-numbers matching 318 car. Incidentally, all of the other bronze 68s that I've seen are R/Ts. I was going to restore it back to the fender tag (except for the engine) because I thought it would be unique. I guess not.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dkn1997

When that car was in MCG years ago, it had white pleats in the seats and bright neon red paint on the "rt" part of the emblems.  the dentist/firehouse part of the story is the exact same as what's in mcg.  I have the mag at home, I will scan it when I get back from vacation. 

There was a whole story about how the original owner did not order the white pleats, and refused to pay for them.  If it's the same car, then it's legit as far as being a survivor.  I don't know about the options.
RECHRGED

Mike DC

Looks like a good parts donor.

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Nacho-RT74

don't you think there is something weird about alternator mounting brackets ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

dkn1997

Found the article, May 1999 Mopar Collectors guide.  no scanner, though.  Has to be the same car, the story is too close.  and it was not a 19 year old dentist who bought it originally, it was a 19 year old dental student...also he did paint the defrost vents dayglo orange along with the emblems and rigged up little lights to make the vents glow when the headlights were turned on.  he also purchased new emblems from the dealer to replace the dayglow ones that he painted.  definately had every other pleat in seats replaced with white too.  somehow that got fixed since 1999. The dealer also redyed the vinyl top pearl white too.  so if that top in there now is the factory white, then it's not original.  although mcg only has 2 color photos of the car, they show the seat pleats and the orange emblems.  also probably a typo, but mcg article said 56K miles, and ebay add says 53K. 

Dave Ferro of Totally Auto bought the car from the original owner according to the article. Interestingly, kids in the dentists neighborhood used to make fun of him the way he babied it and called the car the "sugar cube"

When dave got it, he replaced he wheels and tires with 15" magnums.  also the exhaust was shot so he put borlas on there.  he saved the original date coded mufflers.  also , brakes rebuilt, car tuned up and hidden electronic ignition installed and article said he planned to drive it.

I will see if my father in law can scan the article for me and I will post it. tons of info about the car.  I vote legit
RECHRGED

dkn1997

QUITE LITERALLY THIS YOUNG MAN CHECKED OFF EVERY OPTION BOX ON THE LIST JUST SHORT OF GETTING A HEMI & CRUISE CONTROL, THE OWNER WAS YOUNG AND INTO DATING HE OPTED OUT ON THE CENTER CONSOLE, THAN THE BOY WENT A LITTLE NUTS ON THE GADGETS, ALL THE ITEMS ABOVE PLUS LOCKING GAS CAP, LIGHT PACKAGE, ROAD WHEELS, TIC-TOC-TACH, DUAL MIRRORS, WHEEL OPENING MOLDINGS,

this statement by the ebay seller is pretty much a copy/paste from the article too.

In 1999, this car was also sporting it's original vanity plates that said "68-rt"   where are they?  I think they would be sort of a cool selling point, no?
RECHRGED