News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rebody question

Started by charger01, August 12, 2007, 05:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger01

Is it illegal to swap bodies from car to car?  I bought another mopar while my charger is away.  It needs so much work though.  By the time I bought all the sheet metal it needs and pay someone to install it.  Would be cheaper to find a donor body.  Is this ok to do or is it against the law?  The car is nothing special, just trying to find the cheapest way to get it back on the road.

69charger2002

it's against da law. somehow it happens every day though
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Charger-Bodie

if you ask me its stupid that it is illegal but YES it is......in my opinion if a car is represented for what it is it shouldnt matter. the only people it stops are the honest ones cause the misrep. crooks will surley keep doing it......and lastly a doner body is simply parts to fix a car, just like china parts except that stuff is acceptable :eek2: :eek2:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Mike DC

Nothing wrong with buying another bare body & swapping the parts into it, as long as the eventual finished car is identified as being the body shell rather than the rusty parts-donor car you already have.  No VIN swapping allowed. 

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 12, 2007, 09:02:58 PM

Nothing wrong with buying another bare body & swapping the parts into it, as long as the eventual finished car is identified as being the body shell rather than the rusty parts-donor car you already have.  No VIN swapping allowed. 

Sometimes you don't have a choice....Ask me how I know.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

terrible one

If it's nothing special, I would just get the donor body and swap all the parts onto it as planned, but just stick with the donor body's VIN.

moparguy01

in the eyes of the law, at least in ND and MN, a car is defined as the cowl forward. just alittle something I've learned dealing with repairables. If you have all repaired metal from the cowl forward, it is legally that car.

just something to think about.

Big Lebowski

You can't get the body off, you've been watching too much Boyd Coddington, only Chivvyys & Furds can be taken off the body. :D
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."