News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

big block

Started by dukeboy_318, August 14, 2007, 04:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dukeboy_318

I'm thinking about building a big block 440. I decided to give up the idea of a 400 hp small block build. i'd like it to be streetable and run on at least 92 octane.  I'd also like to see around 500-600 horses under the hood,  i know that I will have to bore it out at least .30 over and put a decent size cam and intake/carb on it to even get close.  What would you guys reccomend?  I've got some ideas, but i'm just starting out in this hobby, so I'm still learning. THanks in advance Chris
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

aifilaw

My first and most important piece of advice.
use the search button on the top.. This question gets asked and answered on a weekly basis, and there are plenty of dyno and 1/4 proven buildups of all types.

2nd, the notion that boring out an engine makes it more powerful is true, but not in the way that the common consensus believes it to be, Boring a 440 0.030 over gives you an extra 5 cubic inches. A net gain of between 5 and 15 peak HP depending on how it is capitalized. Fact is, boring it as little as humanly possible just hone out the wear from previous use is all you need to do, Any more just makes your cylinder walls weaker and makes it so the next time you have to rebuild, you may have to scrap the whole block.

3rd I recommend a stroker if your trying for 5-600 HP N/A, a cam and intake are good, but cylinder heads are better, and an absolute must for that kind of power.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

dukeboy_318

Thanks you, just did that and found a lot of stuff.  i'd never even noticed that search tool before. :shruggy:
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.