News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hamtramck Michigan

Started by THE COLONEL, August 05, 2007, 06:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE COLONEL

I will be going on a trip this coming week to Canada, and will be passing through the Detroit area with The Colonel.  The Colonel came from this plant, and I wanted to know if there is anything left of it.  I would like to get a picture with The Colonel, that has some sort of rememberance of the plant with it.  What is left of it, and/or is there some sort of rememberance to take phots with, or am I just better finding a Hamtramck city limits sign to get the picture.  Thanks in advanced guys!
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

1972Rallye

I'm pretty sure old Dodge Main (Hamtramck Assembly) was torn down years ago.  As far as taking a pic by a Hamtramck sign... you might be putting your life at risk (or your car's).  It used to be a great Polish community, but now it's NOT a good area...

TUFCAT

The original building was torn down in the 80's and is now the site of a Cadillac plant. There is nothing to see unless you want to eat at a few of the nice old Polish restaurants that are still thriving (on the only block) of what's left of a formerly nice working class Polish neighborhood.

The city of Hamtramck is broke, city government has basically shut itself down, and you will pass crack houses, empty lots and burned down homes on the way to the nice part that's left.  If you want to have a nice Polish dinner you can, ......it's getting there that's the problem.

#1 - DO NOT GET LOST.  #2 -  DO NOT TAKE YOUR CHARGER THERE. You will be doing so at your own risk, because the "undesirables" who live there will have no mercy on you....or your old Mopar. I think they've watched the Barrett-Jackson a few times on the stolen plasma TV's at the crack houses and know the value of old Mopars.

THE COLONEL

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 05, 2007, 07:33:26 PM
The original building was torn down in the 80's and is now the site of a Cadillac plant. There is nothing to see unless you want to eat at a few of the nice old Polish restaurants that are still thriving (on the only block) of what's left of a formerly nice working class Polish neighborhood.

The city of Hamtramck is broke, city government has basically shut itself down, and you will pass crack houses, empty lots and burned down homes on the way to the nice part that's left.  If you want to have a nice Polish dinner you can, ......it's getting there that's the problem.

#1 - DO NOT GET LOST.  #2 -  DO NOT TAKE YOUR CHARGER THERE. You will be doing so at your own risk, because the "undesirables" who live there will have no mercy on you....or your old Mopar. I think they've watched the Barrett-Jackson a few times on the stolen plasma TV's at the crack houses and know the value of old Mopars.

Boy, I had no idea it was bad at all.  Thanks for the heads up.  I think I'll pass. :yesnod:

hemi-hampton

From what I seen a heard the old Creative Industry (made the winged cars) is still standing at 10 mile road & Brittany but just a small building, not much to see. You could check out the Chrysler Museum or Woodward Dream Cruise if in town. LEON.

Bandit72

does anyone have any pics of the plant before it was destroyed?
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Charger1973

I was in Detroit once and really was not impressed at all.  It was by far the dirtiest city I have ever been through.  Of course I didnt see all of it, but I wouldnt plan a vacation there for sure. 

Spike

Downtown Detroit is as clean as it's ever been. Lots of new buildings, projects and money being dumped into the downtown area. Not much to be said for most of the neighborhoods that need fixing up though. The city of Hamtramck sits in the middle of Detroit, it is a city within a city. Grew up in Poletown, like many others that lived there we moved to the burbs. Still a couple Polish restaurants worth visiting but other than that not too much to see.

Spike

lee

Thats like all over thou my dad took me where him and my mom first lived and the apartment was for rent so we looked at it and it was exactly the same 40 years later now they call it insead of a crack area it is a moccasin flats but thats the same now what we think is nice now will be crappy in 30 to 40 years

Ghoste

`There are a lot of historical automotive sites around the Detroit area but as mentioned the ones that are just outside of the primary downtown hub are in some really crappy 'hoods.  Sunday mornings (in January) when traffic is a little lighter is the best time to do a history drive-by.
As for the city itself and the surrounding metro area, don't judge it by a drive through on the interstate, some of those cities are really beautiful.  I would much rather go to Detroit than a lot of other places I've been.
What has always struck me the most is a drive down Woodward and noting the side streets how one street will have huge old homes that once would have housed the city's elite and the next block is burnt out shacks.

runningman

Hey let me know when you are going to be in town.  I am just north of detroit....... matt

THE COLONEL

Quote from: runningman on August 06, 2007, 12:39:27 PM
Hey let me know when you are going to be in town.  I am just north of detroit....... matt

I'll be coming through on Friday afternoon.  I heading to Lemington Ontario for the Hair Dare Dukes Day.

bmoparmofo

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 05, 2007, 07:33:26 PM

Lmao From 4 miles north of the hood :rofl:
69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

Ghoste

Leamington?  Normally I would only be another 30 minutes up the highway from there but I'll be in Columbus for that weekend.  Local flyers say that Coy and Vance will be at that Leamington show.

runningman

Quote from: THE COLONEL on August 06, 2007, 07:51:06 PM
Quote from: runningman on August 06, 2007, 12:39:27 PM

I'll be coming through on Friday afternoon.  I heading to Lemington Ontario for the Hair Dare Dukes Day.

Planning on stopping anywhere specific while coming through??

MichaelRW

FWIW, I just read the other day that Hamtramck might very possibly become the first city council in the USA with a muslim majority.  ::)
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

70charger_boy

Quote from: Ghoste on August 07, 2007, 04:01:20 AM
Leamington?  Normally I would only be another 30 minutes up the highway from there but I'll be in Columbus for that weekend.  Local flyers say that Coy and Vance will be at that Leamington show.

Coy and Vance??   :leaving:

bmoparmofo

Quote from: MichaelRW on August 07, 2007, 06:10:07 PM
FWIW, I just read the other day that Hamtramck might very possibly become the first city council in the USA with a muslim majority.  ::)
:rotz:
69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

DodgeChargerNeeded

I live in Mid Michigan and have been to Detroit dozens of times. Trust me its far from the nicest place to be. Down town by Ford Field and Comerica Park is getting much better but I wouldn't stray too far from there. Between downtown and 8 or 9 mile on Woodward I still consider pretty shady and not the safest.
Jeff

4cruzin

I too live close to DTW and really it not that different that any other big city.  They all have their bad areas and problems.  Detroit has been working on their problems and in my opinion, things are improving.  For 6 years I was a service man in detroit and believe me, I've seen it all.  Not much surprises me any more.     :rotz:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

THE COLONEL

Quote from: Ghoste on August 07, 2007, 04:01:20 AMLocal flyers say that Coy and Vance will be at that Leamington show.

If it is the flyer that Paul Harrington put out, check out the star cars that will appera there.  He even put The Colonel on there!! :coolgleamA: