News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

no hoses to heater?

Started by mister bungle, July 16, 2007, 02:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mister bungle

Hi guys,
My project is allmost ready... just one more question. The previous owner must have run this engine like on the picture. He disconnected the heater (In Apple valley California??). My question is; Can i overheat this engine? it's a regular 318ci.
Born with the right heart in the wrong continent

ChgrSteve67

You can over heat your engine for many reasons but not for doing that.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on July 16, 2007, 02:56:43 PM

:iagree:  The previous owner may have done that because the heater core started leaking

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Plumcrazy on July 16, 2007, 04:49:36 PM
Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on July 16, 2007, 02:56:43 PM

:iagree:  The previous owner may have done that because the heater core started leaking
:iagree: That's usually the case.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

DANF

Do you need the hose or can you just plug them at the manifold and wp?
I have a fresh 440 that I eliminated the heater and I was going to plug the ports with a brass plug - is that ok?

thanks
DANF

mister bungle

Quote from: DANF on July 17, 2007, 02:39:17 PM
I have a fresh 440 that I eliminated the heater and I was going to plug the ports with a brass plug - is that ok?

thanks
DANF

Don't think that will work... the water has to go round. as you mentioned yourself "waterPUMP"
Born with the right heart in the wrong continent

Harlow

Yep, I had to do that to mine cause the heater core started leaking.

Charger1973

Mine too.  First time I drove it the antifreeze leaked all over my carpet!

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: DANF on July 17, 2007, 02:39:17 PM

thanks
DANF

I don't see why not.
This part of the circulation system does not have anything to do with cooling.
It merly circulates hot water through the heater core in the cabin.
When the heater core is not in use a valve is closed to stop the water from circulating, thus stopping the circulation of hot water through the heater core in the cabin, thus keep you from being hot as hell. (Got hung up on the word thus - sorry)
If you look at the picture above you can see another hose (twice the size) behind the heater core bypass hose doing exactly the same thing, passing water from the pump to the intake manifold.
In the picture above they used a back flush fitting to connect the two hoses together. I don't know if they use it to just connect the hoses or so they could flush the engine later or didn't want to plug it like you want to do. Would be a good reason to keep if configured that way.
Up to you its your ride.
If its for cosmetics then plug it off.

I am not an expert though.

Anyone see a reason why these lines cannot be plugged?

Steve

tecmopar

You can plug if you wish and it won't affect anything, good luck.

Charger_Fan

I agree, the fittings can be plugged off without harming anything.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)