News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Radiator is clogged....any way to fix it yourself?

Started by Harlow, July 25, 2007, 02:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow

I got a flash light and checked out my radiator. It looks like 2 of the 6 holes I was able to get a good look at are clogged. This is probably the culprit to my over heating problem. My question is: Since I'm cheap I'd like to know if there is anyway I can fix this on my own? I know some shops rod out the radiators and some shops boil out the radiators...to rod it out you need to take it apart and then solder it back up when your done. Are there any methods that I can do?

- Scott

firefighter3931

You could try flushing it with a corrosive agent but make sure to neutralize the flush solution afterwards or you will create a lot of headaches.  :brickwall: Prestone sells a cooling system flush that works well.....just depends on how far gone the radiator is.

I would try this first before pulling the rad and having it boiled out....if anything it will clean the rust and gunk out of the block/heads.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger1973

My car overheated its first trip out the driveway within 1 mile.  My radiator was really plugged and when i pulled it and removed the water pump I found that the gunk was all through my block and the entire cooling system.  I bypassed the heater core (for now) because it was plugged beyond use and sprung a leak on me.  Then I swapped in a radiator that I had and knew was good, and stuck a garden hose into the block and flushed it for about 20 minutes straight (while the water pump and housing were off the motor).  I havent had a problem since...  But I would definately recommend looking at the rest of your cooling system as long as you are at it, I was really suprised at all the crap I got out of mine, and it hasnt gotten hot since I cleaned it out. 

Harlow

I ended up pulling the radiator and took it to a shop. While its out I think I might do what charger1973 did...