News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New digital Camera Question

Started by Drache, July 12, 2007, 01:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drache

I'm looking into picking up one of these two digital camera since they are both easily affordable and offer the optical zoom most point & shoots don't have these days. Both have after market lenses to increase the zoom is nice. I've read many reviews on them online and both have good points and bad points. Just wondering if anyone here owns either of them and can tell me what they think.

The first is a "Canon S2 IS" and the other is a "Fuji FinePix S5200"
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Charger_Fan

My brother has a Canon & seems to like it...don't know which model, though. :shruggy:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Drache

My brother is a professional photographer told me to go with the fuji as it has most of the features I would need and use compared to the Canon.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Arkgl01

I just got a nikon D40X I know its not what your asking but I thought I would tell you its the nicest camera I have ever owned and was worth every dime. Easy to use and take great photo's.

69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

Drache

Yeah Nikons are ALWAYS good cameras but are usually out of my price range  :icon_smile_big:

A nikon will come later  :2thumbs:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Arkgl01

I kept buying HP and other brands and couldnt ever get them to take pics that were crisp and clear. I like to go on circuitcity.com and read the reviews from people. That can help you find both god and bad about a digital camera.

Mark
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

Drache

Quote from: Arkgl01 on July 12, 2007, 03:15:00 PM
I kept buying HP and other brands and couldnt ever get them to take pics that were crisp and clear. I like to go on circuitcity.com and read the reviews from people. That can help you find both god and bad about a digital camera.

Mark

Yeah that's what I did for both these cameras. Granted though nothing beats a nikon....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Just 6T9 CHGR

I just bought Panasonic's Lumix DMC-TZ3K 7mb camera.
I did a lot of comparisons using www.cnet.com
It has a 10x optical zoom, 3" LCD screen and a wide angle Lecia lense.

I used it for the first time at Carlisle and let me tell you the wide angle lense is beautiful.  While others were stepping waaaaay back to get the whole car into the shot, I was a mere 5 ft away and I could get the whole car & then some.

I took all of the pics using the "normal" mode and they came out awesome!  I'm sure if I played with the ISO settings & such they would have come out even better....Tag pics never looked so clear.   This camera even with a 10x optical zoom is surprisingly small and fit into my pocket easily

A small example of the wide angle lense....see how I'm right up on the chains and I get the whole car in the shot?   Others were standing across the aisle to get the whole car in the shot
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Drache

10x optical zoom on that lil bastard is nuts! Luckily I can get an aftermarket wide angle lens for the fuji as well as other lenses as well. I noticed though that those Lumix cameras are going for about $300+ on the 'bay. Buying one brand new in Canada would run me aobut another $100 it seems.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Just 6T9 CHGR

I got mine from www.buydig.com

It was a "kit" purchase that came with a 2mb card, a card reader, case & cleaning kit.....

Funny though it looks like they raised the price since June when I got mine.  I paid $356 shipped for mine

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=E2PNDMCTZ3K
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger_Fan

A wide angle lens will definitely be one feature on my next camera. :yesnod: Not having one can sure suck, at times.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Drache

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on July 12, 2007, 05:50:17 PM
A wide angle lens will definitely be one feature on my next camera. :yesnod: Not having one can sure suck, at times.

With the bear in the yard yesterday I would rather have zoom than a wide angle lens, don't want to get THAT close!  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Chryco Psycho

I have the older S1 IS , it is a very versitile camera , one of the best rfeatures is the AA batteries , you can walk into any store & buy them if your batteries die
it has 12 X zoom , wide angle , & takes awesome night shots as well

Drache

Well I went for the Fuji mainly because my brother said he'd slap me if I didn't. Being a digital SLR I can change the lenses easily. Not to mention that I now have a digital SLR that my brother wants.  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

69_500

Man now i wish that I had seen this thread sooner.

I would have suggested to go with a used Nikon D100, or even a used Nikon D50. They are older models, but still take incredible photo's. I use a d100 most of the time when I 'm out, I have a D200 now, but still like the D100 as well. Don't be fooled by just a megapixel count when purchasing a digital camera though. There is also a noticeable difference in photo's based on the size of the chips in them. Most smaller digital cameras use a 1/64" chip, where as the D100 I believe has a 1/16" chip. 6 megapixel is 6 megapixel, but with those two differences in chips is the difference in a 6 megapixel photo at 3"x5", and one at 24"x30". Granted most people aren't going to shoot a photo and blow it up to poster size, but its always nice to know that your not losing anything if you either. I think I paid $450 for my D100 2 years ago used.

Drache

The D100's are going for around $450-$500+ on ebay right now, like I said before I had maybe at the most only $300 to spend which included everything like shipping.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire