News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cold air induction kits

Started by Brian in GA, July 23, 2007, 07:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian in GA

Hey guys, I need some opinions on this one.  I just bought an 06 charger r/t with the 5.7L hemi.  It's kind of cool to have one while I'm working on the 68.  Anyway, I'm wondering about the cold air induction kits.  I see where they advertise up to 10hp gains, and some people report 2-3 mpg increases as well. 

Seems the mopar kits and brand names like K&N go for around $200.  My question is, does it really work?  It makes sense that cooler air would be a gain for performance, but I need someone who has had one to confirm it for me.  And don't rip me for buying a new charger.  I got a heckuva deal on it, and the more I drive it the better I like it!   :yesnod:

Any help would be appreciated.  I'm basically trying to decide if $200 bucks on an air induction kit is worth it or not. 

Ghoste

All I can add is that it definitely works in the older cars and it is one of the few things you can do to modify the new cars.  It's one of the first modifications all the ricers make underhood so even though I can give you any hard comparison data, I think you should do it.  200 may seem like a lot for an air filter and plastic duct but once it's on there, it's free power and efficiency.  :Twocents:

ScottMH

i had a 06 charger r/t before my wife totaled it  :flame: and i had the K&N Typhoon Air Intake System. The horsepower gains are not noticable, but the sound that you get is amazing...it gives the engine a deep powerful sound.  But as for HP...it may have bumped it up some, but remeber 10-15 HP is hardly noticable. I also cut out the mufflers and left the resonators, gives it a nice rumble...as for MPG i was rough on her so the most i ever got was 13mpg city and 18 highway. hope that helps...

Brian in GA

Thanks for the help, guys.  I've decided to roll with one, and am researching which brand to go with.  A local Chrysler dealership parts guy I know quoted me about $385 for a mopar kit, but was quick to tell me 1) he hasn't heard from any customers to see how effective it is, if at all, and 2) I could get an aftermarket piece just as good for half the $.  You gotta love the honesty.   :yesnod:

ScottMH

if nothing you will love the new sound

HITMAN 149

i've heard nothing bad about  k&N!!!! ebay has a bunch of cheap plastic one's!!!!!!! LOL
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Lord Warlock

While i don't own a new mopar to gauge performance of a cold air kit with, I added a k&N type kit on my stealth turbo and on my svt cobra, and in some cases they make a large difference in power.  On my svt cobra it generated over 20hp difference, on the stealth not near as much, maybe 2 to 4hp.  Is it worth the cost, depends on the platform.  I'd do it again for the ford, but not with the turbo stealth.  On the stealth the big power gain was a better exhaust. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.