News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

6-pack electric choke?

Started by dogbert22, November 06, 2007, 11:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogbert22

Hi guys,
Has anyone put an electric choke on their 6-pack center carb? I am planning on closing off the choke hot air duct in the valley pan (to try and forestall some hot-start issues that are bound to arise here in Houston) so a "normal" bi-metal choke probably won't work. I have a manual choke kit from  Holley but I really like the electric one I have on my current 4 bbl Holley and would like to go that route if possible for my 6-pack project. Thanks.
Rick-in-Katy

471_Magnum

I've never seen it done, but have always been curious. Pretty sure if it was feasible, somebody would have done it by now.

I suspect there is not enough realestate. I've worked on a few six pack cars, and it's pretty cluttered over there. At a minimum, a new fuel line would have to be fabricated.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

BrianShaughnessy

Not a lot of room with the vacuum setup 6 pack.    The BG 6 shooter setup I tested had an electric choke I was going to rig up off the hot field wire to the alternator but I never got to it before I tossed them.

I just run the bi metal deal on my mechanical holleys now with E-heads which are blocked off anyway.     It works OK just the way it is.   I'd at least try it first in your case.

It's not really a hit the key and drive off deal like a new fuel injected car but it's getting closer.    Used to be a lot worse.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

dogbert22

Brian, Magnum_471

Thanks for the replies. I did some thinking about what Brian said in terms of using the "usual" bi-metal chioke coil, even if the hot air crossover is blocked off. Since the main issue is to get the engine fired off on cold mornings, the bi-metal choke, once adjusted, should close the choke plate at cold temps. The issue becomes whether or not it will fully open once the engine heats up, even if the crossover is blocked. I think Brian is right, that while it may take a little longer to fully open, eventually it will. The downside is that the engine runs a little rich for a whil;e. Having the vacuum pulloff working should help when/if the gas pedal is mashed during this time. I will send a tech inquiry off to Holley about the electric choke angle. In theory, the center carb is simply a 2300-series Holley, with the complicating vacuum/fuel lines/linkage being the difference. Will let you know what they say.
Rick-in-Katy

Rolling_Thunder

this is the only thing holding up the 6 pack hemi intake at edelbrock....     MP wants provision for a choke...     :scratchchin:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

dogbert22

Report from The Front...

Heard back from Holley Tech about this issue. According to them, since the 6-pack setup uses what they call a "divorced choke" it is not possible to put an electric choke mod on this setup. A divorced choke (again according to them) is where the choke unit sits in a well and operates the choke flap via a rod (like it does in the stock setup). I have ordered the stock choke spring/rod setup and will go that way for now. I am thinking about how to apply some Yankee Inguenity to see if putting an electric choke somehow/someway is possible.
Rick-in-Katy

hemi68charger

Quote from: dogbert22 on November 14, 2007, 08:41:12 AM
Report from The Front...

Heard back from Holley Tech about this issue. According to them, since the 6-pack setup uses what they call a "divorced choke" it is not possible to put an electric choke mod on this setup. A divorced choke (again according to them) is where the choke unit sits in a well and operates the choke flap via a rod (like it does in the stock setup). I have ordered the stock choke spring/rod setup and will go that way for now. I am thinking about how to apply some Yankee Inguenity to see if putting an electric choke somehow/someway is possible.

Yo Rick .... I was thinking, it dawned on me today.... On my Little Red Express, there was a choke thermostat that had an electrical connection to it. I think this thing used the electricity to produce heat, which in turn, affected the coil and caused it to move... Let me see about this... It could be an alternative with some modifications...

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

471_Magnum

I didn't expect Holly to be of much assistance. Their analysis is correct, but with the correct parts, and a little ingenuity, you should be able to adapt an electric choke to a 2300 series carb. Might have to find an OEM 2300 w/electric choke to part out, and do some significant fabrication, but I'm sure it can be done.

Problem will be, as previously stated, getting it to fit with all the fuel lines and vacuum pods trying to occupy the same space.

I've got a buddy with a couple of six packs. Next chance I get I'll take a few measurements.

I also know a Holley guru who may be able to enlighten us. I'll look into it a little further and report back.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

dogbert22

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. While also not totally surprised by Holley's answers (to their credit they did reply promptly to my queries) I agree that there should be a way. I'm going to find an electric choke 2300 and "play around" with it to see if this can be done. I'm just surprised no one else has run into this brick wall before. I realize it's a non-issue to the racers, hell my six-pack came with the choke plate/rod removed, but us street guys are looking for some semblance of driveability and cold starts are one aspect I appreciate. This is coupled with the desire to minimize hot-start issues at the same time (hence the blocked-off heat crossover).
Rick-in-Katy

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 16, 2007, 09:31:06 AM
Quote from: dogbert22 on November 14, 2007, 08:41:12 AM
Report from The Front...

Yo Rick .... I was thinking, it dawned on me today.... On my Little Red Express, there was a choke thermostat that had an electrical connection to it. I think this thing used the electricity to produce heat, which in turn, affected the coil and caused it to move... Let me see about this... It could be an alternative with some modifications...

Have fun with that one Troy...     I am way ahead of you...    the problem is the heating element will not fit in the stock 69 6-pack choke cup, I have been toying with it for a while and to make it work you need to make a couple pieces from scratch to make it all work together....

That wire is tired into the oil pressure switch - really a cool design for back then    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip