News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine stops when I remove jumper cables....why?

Started by dspaulding70, June 23, 2008, 11:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dspaulding70

My engine got some water on it when I had the hood up at a show.  I tried to start it but the starter was just clicking.  I used a pair of jumper cables and got the engine to start and run but when I removed the jumper cables, the engine immediately died.

Is the problem battery, alternator, water shorting out something?  The battery has never given me any trouble.  Thoughts?????

Big Lebowski

"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

A383Wing

Or bad connections at the battery terminals. Try that first....

Bryan

dspaulding70

If alternator got wet, will it work when it dries out?

dpm68

You can pretty much soak those bastards and they will keep running. Try a multi-meter across the  (fully charged) battery terminals while it is running, it should read above 14 if it's in fighting shape. If it still reads 12 or so, look to be getting an alternator.

Dave22443

Could also be a voltage regulator.  Many parts stores can test both your battery and your altenator to see if either is the problem.  If both check out, I'd look at replacing the regulator.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Kevin68N71

Just for grins I would check the battery terminals first...when you are squeezing them with jumpers it is sometimes just enough to make a better connection.

Then borrow another battery and try it.

Next move would be to have a look at that alternator.
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

dspaulding70

AND THE WINNER IS.........................................DEAD BATTERY!

Thanks for the help.

Darrell

Dave22443

I'm not convinced.

If the battery was dead and you started the car using jumpers, the car should run on the altenator even with no battery in the car at all.  My guess is the battery was indeed dead, but that doesn't mean it was bad.  You could have killed it by running the car for a while with no charging system working.  Just putting a new battery in the car won't fix that problem.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Arkolyte

True, I've had this problem myself, and it turned out to be the alternator.

craigandlynda

once the engine is idling at normal speed, you should be able to disconnect the battery...a good charging system will produce more than enough juice to run the engine- and it won't shut off..if the motor dies when you disconnect the battery, you have a bad charging system...also, if you disconnect the battery, and the engine still runs, next flip on the headlites- if the motor stays running, you have a good system...if the motor dies then check the system for bad regulator, crappy wiring or connectors, even a crappy ignition switch...

challenger70

Quote from: craigandlynda on June 27, 2008, 03:43:39 PM
once the engine is idling at normal speed, you should be able to disconnect the battery...a good charging system will produce more than enough juice to run the engine- and it won't shut off..if the motor dies when you disconnect the battery, you have a bad charging system...also, if you disconnect the battery, and the engine still runs, next flip on the headlites- if the motor stays running, you have a good system...if the motor dies then check the system for bad regulator, crappy wiring or connectors, even a crappy ignition switch...

:iagree:
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger

mikepmcs

I agree with a charging problem here.  Battery will last a bit cause it's new.  Dont' think that is the fix, if a charging system is working, the car should have stayed running after the initial jump the first time. :Twocents:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Big Lebowski

"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Dave22443 on June 25, 2008, 01:06:38 PM
I'm not convinced.

If the battery was dead and you started the car using jumpers, the car should run on the altenator even with no battery in the car at all.  My guess is the battery was indeed dead, but that doesn't mean it was bad.  You could have killed it by running the car for a while with no charging system working.  Just putting a new battery in the car won't fix that problem.
:iagree:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

dspaulding70

Truck still running on the new battery after 2 weeks.........

zerfetzen

Quote from: dspaulding70 on June 23, 2008, 11:50:38 PM
If alternator got wet, will it work when it dries out?

Once I had an experience that an alternator on a 440 got wet, dried, and never worked right again.  It took me a little while to figure out that had to be the cause, and it was.  At least, that was my experience.
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

dspaulding70

Update.....truck still running after 8 months on the new battery

resq302

I had this problem on a Jeep I once owned.  Turns out the battery went bad in a blink of an eye.  Must have been a bad cell that warped or something.  Even with the engine running, the battery would not take a charge and if you have electronic ignition, your module or computer needs a minimum amount of voltage in order to run.

Granted, the alternator could be putting out enough juice to keep the car running but once it gets to the battery (energy storage) and the battery is bad and causing a direct ground to kill the power, your car would never run.  Hence, once you jump started it off of another car (basically staring your car off of another battery) and you removed the wires, you were taking a good, normally functioning battery away from the car and leaving your car still with the internally grounding battery.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto