News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Proper Way To Remove Front Floor Pan?

Started by bordin34, June 03, 2007, 08:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

What is the right way to remove a rusted floor pan? I have bought a replacement. Should I cut it out at the semas? Do I need a spotweld cutter.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

hemi-hampton

Yes, you need a spot weld cutter, air Chisel, Cut Off Wheel, ect, ect. To do it right do it at the seams but easier to do it just before the seams. If done just before the seams the seams retain the factory spot welds & look if your interested in that. LEON.

bordin34

Can anybody recommend a good spot-weld cutter?

Mahwah,NJ

hemi-hampton

bordin34

So I basically drill out anywhere I can see a spot weld with a spot weld cutter then cut out any part of the pan still attached? Blair is good right? Anybody have an opinion?

Mahwah,NJ

Charger1973

Quote from: bordin34 on June 04, 2007, 06:32:16 PM
So I basically drill out anywhere I can see a spot weld with a spot weld cutter then cut out any part of the pan still attached? Blair is good right? Anybody have an opinion?

If you drill all the spot welds you shouldnt have to cut anything, the welds are what holds the pan in place.

hemihead

Alot of those welds aren't  perfect circles. Sometimes there are 2 or 3 welds over each other. After you drill one out you may still need to take a chiesel and separate the panels.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

bordin34

OK, I mean I cut out the part of the pan by the transmission tunnel. I should remove the front bench seat right?

Mahwah,NJ

hemi-hampton

Charger1973, how do you remove a floor along trans tunnel area when there are no spot welds or seam their? LEON.

Charger1973

I wasnt thinking of cutting it there actually, but yes to do just one side you would need to.  I have seen entire one peice front pans listed for sale lately so, i'm not completely crazy...  ;)

73chargers4404

the part your cutting out is junk, anyways i would grind the spot welds with a grinder until the metal is thin then pry it loose with a pry bar or a screw diver,what i did was cut it in 2 foot sections and pry them out
then clean up the frame with a flap wheel ,with a spot weld cutter you might drill through the frame i dont like that prospect . i did use a spot weld cutter on the back floor pan where there is no frame,another thing i found out is grind it down till the metal turns blue when this happens the metal is paper thin and will peel  right off the frame.

bordin34

Mahwah,NJ

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 73chargers4404 on June 06, 2007, 09:13:08 PM
the part your cutting out is junk, anyways i would grind the spot welds with a grinder until the metal is thin then pry it loose with a pry bar or a screw diver,what i did was cut it in 2 foot sections and pry them out
then clean up the frame with a flap wheel ,with a spot weld cutter you might drill through the frame i dont like that prospect . i did use a spot weld cutter on the back floor pan where there is no frame,another thing i found out is grind it down till the metal turns blue when this happens the metal is paper thin and will peelĀ  right off the frame.

:iagree: forget about the spot weld drill and grind them away!!! if there are some that need to be drilled just use a regular 3/8 drill bit carfully not to go thru!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

73chargers4404

i allso used a spot weld cutter where the floor meets the fire wall ,and make sure you have the car lifted and level ,and i would not cut out the whole thing at once,but dont use the spot weld cutter on floor where the frame is ,but the places you do use your spot weld cutter will last longer, last twice as long useing cutting fluid.  :2thumbs: