News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Edelbrock Intake/Carb installation

Started by yellocharge68, June 06, 2007, 08:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellocharge68

I just purchased an Edelbrock Intake/Carb and Air Cleaner package from Mancini Racing and wanted to get any ideas or suggestions/reccomendations on preparing my car for the new install.
I wanted to know, other than the removal and general clean up of the old intake/carb,  what else should I do on this. Is there any other work or general things that I should do prior to the install? Will I also need to reset the timing, maybe even change out the spark plugs and wires? reccomendations on the general cleanup/prperation will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, again. :icon_smile_cool: ;D
Sunfire Yellow 1968 Dodge Charger 383/727 auto-console

RD

Quote from: yellocharge68 on June 06, 2007, 08:25:37 AM
I just purchased an Edelbrock Intake/Carb and Air Cleaner package from Mancini Racing and wanted to get any ideas or suggestions/reccomendations on preparing my car for the new install.
I wanted to know, other than the removal and general clean up of the old intake/carb,  what else should I do on this. Is there any other work or general things that I should do prior to the install?

Make sure on your removal of your old intake that you do not let any dirt/debris enter into the valley pan.

Use gasket shellac around intake runners and RTV silicone on the front and rear of the valley pan (under the valley pan between the block & the VP). dab a lil extra RTV in the corners where the VP tray meets the block/heads (all 4 corners) to ensure a proper seal.

Will I also need to reset the timing, maybe even change out the spark plugs and wires? reccomendations on the general cleanup/prperation will be greatly appreciated.

You will not need to reset the timing, unless you remove your distributor (do you have small block or big block?)  Small block, yes it would be wise to recheck your timing afterwards to ensure you put your distributor back inexactly the way you removed it (just go ahead and use a marker to mark the placement of the distributor <at TDC on #1 piston compression stroke> with the block, A big block, well, not if you do not remove your distributor.

You can change out the spark plugs and wires if you want, but not necessary.

MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT DROP ANYTHING DOWN YOUR CARBURETOR OR INTAKE.  :D

that is bad hehehe

hope this helps
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

yellocharge68

I guess that woulda been helpful info. I have a 383 date coded to 11/1967 build date , it has the original intake and what I believe to be the original  Carter avs 4 brl carb. It runs o k, but I wanted to lighten up as much as possible in the engine area as well as take advantage of improved carb and breather assembly...

Thanks for the info, I didn't think about the silicone, guess I'll get that on the way home....hope the parts get here soon, dying to install and drive it!!!!

yellocharge68

o k, I got all the parts as ordered and it looks great in the box!!! ha ha ha ha.... I set about removing the old Carter AVS Carb, and it appears to be the original...  I got the intake bolts all loosened and finally removed, and noticed that at least 5 of them did not have a locking washer type device, while the others did...?????  I also removed carefully as suggested the valley pan, and I am not sure, but it looked like it had been painted either an olive drab green or almost silver color??? and it had by all appearances flaked off into the valley below, mixing with the oil??? Any idea if that will have a negative influence on the engine, I am not quiet ready to do the complete rebuild, and I do plan on  stroking it a little...but thats another day!!!

I placed the new valley pan over the engine and placed the two center bolts to hold it down for now...any other suggestions before I embark on the installation of the new intake and, carb  and low profile air cleaner???  Thank you again in advance for the assistance guys and gals, I can't wait to fire it up!!!! :-X :coolgleamA:

RD

you did clean off the surfaces as best as you could correct?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

NHCharger

I installed the same set up on my 383 ten years ago. Unless they have changed something I think you have to get a throttle cable bracket adapter. I still ended up grinding the adapter a bit to make things work.

Also, are you using the Felpro # 1215 intake gaskets? Firefighther Ron suggested I use these. Helps cut down on the heat transfer between the block and the intake.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

yellocharge68

RD...I was planning on it, I just covered it up with the new valley pan to keep any debris, tools or neighbors cats outta the block....

I read the instructions and it recommended some kind of mineral spirits or such to clean off the old gasket and ensure that the surface is as clean as possible.  If you have any suggestions or reccomendations, I will surely appreciate it.

NHCHARGER....I got the box from Mancini Racing and they are all FEL-PRO Gaskets, I think I am in good shape for that part.

I went with an electric choke on this project, so any info/advise will be greatly appreciated!!!!  Especially on the wiring part....!!!!

Ghoste

And even though you may not need to reset your timing, this is an excellent excuse to go through your tuneup from scratch and make sure it's all perfect and working together. :icon_smile_wink: