News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will THIS Booster work for my disc brake conversion? Any idea what it's from?

Started by Corellian Corvette, June 05, 2007, 02:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

I'm trying to do a more correct looking disc brake conversion on my 68 Charger so I don't have to use the weird setup that comes with the MP brakes kit.

I'm trying to find the correct Bendix dual-diaphram unit that came in disc brake cars, similar to the one 8WHEELER posted in this thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,29249.0.html

I know those boosters are hard to find, so on a lark I ordred one from partsamerica.com to see what would happen. This is the booster I ordered:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=A1C&MfrPartNumber=5473603&PartType=250&PTSet=A

Today, a box showed up at my door and included the booster in the picture below. The good news is that it does fit the original holes in the firewall, as well as work with the MP brakes Master Cylinder. However, it looks nothing like the one in the picture or on the website.

Does anyone know if what this booster is actually from? Will it work?

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Mfr426

That booster looks like mine in my factory disc brake equipped 69 Charger. The lines on the MC are on the wrong side for me but that's just the M/C.

Hold on to that part...I'll be right over!

:icon_smile_wink:

Mike R in Reading PA

resq302

The booster on my 69 has more lines radiating out towards the master cylinder where the one that you have in the picture is pretty much smooth and round.  It does look close to a Bendix design though.  Wonder if that is the new repro that someone had been talking about making? ???
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Looks to be a truck or van style booster.  Functionality wise it should work....appearance wise its not "correct" for a 2nd gen.

Im actually surprised they sent you anything.   According to the link you posted the booster they pictured & the part # they listed is the correct one.  When i tried to order it (a few times) I always got an email the next day stating my order was cancelled due to the mfg. not having any.... :scratchchin:

This is the correct booster....  Check the part # on the box as well

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Corellian Corvette

I'm surprised they sent me anything, too!! I just did it for the hell of it, beacuse they listed it in-stock on the site. I went to my local Shucks and they said it could not be ordered.

So long as it works, I'm a happy guy! I'm not that concerned about appearance since I'm making some other non-stock changes, but I really didn't like the setup that comes with the MP brakes kit.

At least this has a generally correct look about it.

is_it_EVER_done?

Appears to be a 60's 3/4 ton Ford truck Bendix unit. As long as the push rod to the brake pedal linkage length is the same or close, it will work fine. I've used several Ford boosters over the years, but not the duel diaphragm Bendix ones (I'm not a fan of the Bendix units stock or otherwise as they provide more boost than I like).

Let us know how it works for you.

Corellian Corvette

Cool! It will probably get slapped on in a couple of weeks so we'll see if it works!