News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 max oil pressure?

Started by COKE, May 21, 2007, 05:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

COKE

I have a performance oil pressure pump and a high pan on my 440.The oil press at idle and cold is 80 psi.
I have been searching on the forum and i have found a lot of posts about this ,and it seems to be usual,but
Wich should to be the maximun pressure?
Should the pump valve cut it here?

I have an 80 psi scale mechanical gauge,and i really don,y know what could happen if the pressure exceeds them .
Could it break the gauge?

Thanks in advance.
69´Charger R/T,440 ,4-speed,Dana 60 3.55.

hutch

I had a car that ran pretty high for a long time.  From what I have heard, high pressure will not hurt anything as long as you have the right amount of oil in your pan,  Big block 440 at 5Krmp is going to suck your pan dry and high pressure might be an issue.  But I am no pro, this is just stuff I have heard over the years.

In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Chryco Psycho

that is normall for all of the HP oil pumps
generally I use the 100 PSi guage to allow for some breathing room on the guage   

COKE

The trouble is that i have converted my electrical oil pressure gauge to mechanical using the internal part from a VDO gauge and the face from the original one.
It works&looks fine and i would like to keep it.But i,m worried about the gauge limit.
The original electric sistem did not work very good,it only was reading 40-60 psi  at cold idle and i really did not belive it went to have 80 and more.

I have been thinkin to get a valve to keep safe the gauge.It mean a gauge wich cuts or regule  the pressure to the gauge  at maximun of 75-80 psi for example.
But i can,t to find nothing for oil.
69´Charger R/T,440 ,4-speed,Dana 60 3.55.